Camper box weight

Cactus101

Hey guys I have a 4x4 truck an in australia I can potentially register it as a light vehicle if I can manage to keep the build under 1 ton. The box will be approx 4m by 2.4m by ~2m. Composite panel, fiberglass or alloy shs frame weigh more? What about durability? Does anyone think this is possible? Am I being way too optimistic?

DzlToy

Explorer
I have built a box of a similar size using commercially-produced sandwich panels. Dry/empty weight was about 250 kg. If properly constructed, the box doesn't weigh much at all; it's the furniture, water, mountain bike, diesel, solar panels, inverters, cooking hob, crockery and so on, that add all the weight.

Toss a swag in your box and you are well under your 1 tonne limit. Add everything you own into the box and well......

rruff

Explorer
Basic durable panel construction is typically ~7.5 kg/m^2. The stuff you carry is where the weight can be an issue.

Is it illegal for you to drive it when over the registered weight?

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
I am currently building a new OKA motorhome similar to the one in my avatar. It will be registered under 4.5T.
I am in Adelaide.
The 23mm sandwich panel that I am using weighs 6kg/m2 (the floor is 6.9kg/m2). Panel was purchased from Vanglass in Yandina Queensland.
BUT, I am also putting lots of effort to reduce the weight of the base vehicle and the mounting of the box to the chassis. The box will be frameless. All water and fuel tanks are rotomoulded plastic. All batteries LiFe04. All solar light weight. Induction cook top, no gas. Alloy wheels. Furniture is multi wall polycarbonate roofing that weighs between 1.7 and 3.1kg/m2 and frameless.
The weight of EVERYTHING must be questioned and attacked.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
FYI - No Yanks allowed (unless maybe with registration?)
Bugga. Sorry. That was a response to uncontrollable spam from various O/S sources (not Yanks in particular) if I recall. Thought you might be able to read. You will not be able to register. :(
The OP will be able to access it though, so might get some value.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

Reactions: mog

DzlToy

Explorer
nya-png.820337

An inexpensive VPN (avoid NORD and other highly-marketed options), solves your problem and keeps ALL of your traffic private. Choose your 'country of origin' at will, changing if necessary for various transactions, such as signing up for BBC's iPlayer from "the UNITED STATES" :cool:

Last edited:

Cactus101

Fist off, thanks for all the replies! It doesnt have the gvm reduction yet, just contemplating options cos I dont need as many engineer certificates for a light vehicle with the modifications I have planned.

As for being overweight, I'm not sure how it works, maybe Peter_n_Margarete can shed some light on this?

I knew a guy with a dyna tow truck, it could be driven on a normal car lisence but when a vehicle was on the back it had to be truck lisence. Weird.

How much does the Oka weigh now?

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
There are weigh bridges scattered around the country, many of which you are obliged to enter if you are a "Truck" which is defined as every vehicle that is registered with a GVM of 4.5T or more. If you are overweight you can not drive away until you are back to a legal weight. They may also issue a fine which can be significant if you are too heavy.
I knew a guy with a dyna tow truck, it could be driven on a normal car lisence but when a vehicle was on the back it had to be truck lisence. Weird.
Not possible.
How much does the Oka weigh now?
The cab/chassis was 3T. It is now under 3T with camper floor and all tanks for fuel and water installed.
A long way to go yet.
The existing one has a GVM of 6.6T. When full of fuel and water it can be up to 6.5T.
This is the new one.
Tanks.jpg

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

Cactus101

Thank you everyone for your time, I have decided to go with a steel truck body for my camper and just bite the bullet, I dont think I'll get under 1 ton

Cactus101

There are weigh bridges scattered around the country, many of which you are obliged to enter if you are a "Truck" which is defined as every vehicle that is registered with a GVM of 4.5T or more. If you are overweight you can not drive away until you are back to a legal weight. They may also issue a fine which can be significant if you are too heavy.

Not possible.

The cab/chassis was 3T. It is now under 3T with camper floor and all tanks for fuel and water installed.
A long way to go yet.
The existing one has a GVM of 6.6T. When full of fuel and water it can be up to 6.5T.
This is the new one.
View attachment 820562

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
How is your camper mounted?

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
How is your camper mounted?
It is important to understand that the chassis is a very ridged welded tube ladder frame.
16 or 18 polyurethane blocks 25mm thick are glued directly to the chassis with Plexus 310 2 pack.
Aluminium tube supports are glued to them.
The 23mm fibreglass/PET foam floor is glued to the aluminium supports using Sikaflex 252.

P1060397e.jpg

P1060407ce.jpg
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

DzlToy

Explorer
Hi Peter, it's nice to see someone doing things the right way and making the box part of the monocoque instead of adding 100 - 400mm in springs, pivots, mounts and double-frames.

How many kilometers would you say you have on your OKA with this box? Any issues with stress cracks or delamination?

Cheers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior