Camper Electrical Upgrades Step by Step (for what it's worth)

deminimis

Explorer
This process is scattered about, so thought I'd put it into one thread in case it helps anyone:

Background: Truck camper with 210AH battery bank and a single Shell 110 solar panel (due to age, it has probably lost about 5% of its original capacity). I also have a propane generator on board. The goal was to be able to watch a movie or cook a Hot Packet without having to fire up that cursed generator. As always, "Project Creep" took over. After identifying what products I was going to need, I started with the easiest. I replaced my original, never gave me any problems (but I had some concerns due to a years back rumored recall of them), automatic transfer switch with a Parrallax ATS 301 (this ATS is used to switch from shore to genny). I installed a second Parrallax ATS 301 to switch from shore/genny to inverter (the inverter I chose does not have an internal ATS). I chose an inverter without an internal ATS in part because the majority of my 12v systems is in one slide and my 120v system is in the other, opposite slide. Since the inverter needed to be close to the batt bank, I didn't want to run 120 from the one slide to the inverter's ATS and then back again. Make sense? The second is powered (shore/genny) via a 30amp breaker from the main panel or by the inverter. From the second ATS, I powered a Blue Sea sub panel (all outlets and microwave). This way the shore/genny power everything and the inverter,when in use, is limited to manageable items (otherwise I may try to power the hot water heater or AC if those items were accidentally left on).

Second ATS (metal housing at the rear, prior to final wiring):
upload_-1.jpg

Sub panel (close to main panel, but hidden away in the pantry):
upload_-1.jpg

Next step was to add a second panel at 160W (Carmanah CTI-160). Sorry, no pics.

The worst part of the upgrade was installing a second battery box (same as the OEM one) so I could increase my on-board batt bank to 420 amps. The area I finally chose already had a small compartment door. Unfortunately, it was wider than needed (a big hassle) and not tall enough (not a big hassle). I cut the hole and framed it between the ext and int walls for added strength. I used salvage ext wall fiberglass to cover the sides where the orig hole was too big, and filled any voids with Marine Tex, polished to a gel coat like shine with the wet finger trick.

The cut hole with some new framing visible, but without the ext skin repair (covered in plastic to retain heat for glues to cure as it was in the low 20's).
upload_-1.jpg

Not happy with the first attempt (it was sitting a bit higher than the other):
upload_-1.jpg

Second and final redo. Worked out well.
upload_-1.jpg

Not my best work, but made a panel out of 1/4" oak for the controller (moved it so I could see the readout when the slide was closed) and the new inverter remote:
upload_-1.jpg

A couple of pics up, you can see a small sewer hose storage door (absolutely worthless -Never used it). By removing that, I could easily access the space behind the wall for running wires (solar, controller and inverter remote, as well as romex). Since all my electrical is in slides, it created an added level of misery. 10/2 Romex does not behave well in a slide. So I ended up terminating the Romex in a junction box and using 10 THHN from the junction box to the inverter). This wire behaves much better when moving the slide in and out).

Batteries all connected with 4/0. Definitely a difficult and heavy cable to work with, but as good as it gets for voltage drop, so I managed.
upload_-1.jpg

Batts wired up, as well as inverter. I still need to run a 12v hot 6awg over to the new bank for better distribution (got the wire last night, so I'll do that tonight), as well as secure the cables, inverter, etc.
upload_-1.jpg

Final two panels arrive today and I'll install them this weekend (max total of 590w). Since there is a risk, albeit ever so slight, that I could surpass the 30amp limit of my controller (under the most ideal conditions, I could, theoretically, produced approx 32.5 amps), I'll install a type 1 30 amp auto reset circuit breaker before the controller. Sort of a Band Aid approach until my wallet has recovered enough for a new 45 Amp MPPT controller. Next month, I'll add a Blue Sea ACR so I can harvest some of my 400+ amp truck alternators for big loads or just charging while heading down the road. I think this setup should satisfy our thirst for electricity. If not, I have room for a couple additional smaller panels. I could build a battery box (or two) for another 210AH on the flatbed (space directly below the slide, aft of the top box and forward of the camper as seen in an above pic(s)) that I would connect to the house batts via an Anderson connector, but thinking we'll be okay.

The final tally is well north of $3k. I shopped all the components pretty hard and found some good deals here and there. Did not plan on going so crazy in one single push, but some items (like my preferred panels and the inverter) popped up fairly cheap for what I suspect is a very limited time. So, I struck while the iron was hot. When all said and done, I still come up well under the the cost (it was a smoking deal) of the barely used diesel genny I was considering last month. I need to get this thing buttoned up this weekend as we're hitting the slopes for a few days next week (it will be snowing the whole time, so all the solar work will be for naught, insofar as it relates to this outing. If given the choice, I'll take the snow).

This is how I wired the two 12v battery banks (4 12v batts). It is not to scale (not even close) All battery cable is 4/0 (b/t all the batts and to the inverter). The 12v systems wire is 8AWG (-) and 6AWG (+) as the positive wire has a bit longer run.

Dual%252520Batt%252520Bank.png

Anyway, hope this helps those undertaking something similar.

Last edited:

rayra

Expedition Leader
When you have time, could you relate some info regarding electrical short or fire concerns?

I'm contemplating a similarly complex setup for my Suburban for 'house' use and what I'm thinking of as a 'power module' as an adjunct to a storage platform / drawer setup. I want to feed the 'module' from my alternator using an automatic charging relay, and also from a solar controller AND from shore power, and put out 115VAC, 5VDC USB, 12VDC 'power port' / cig lighter and a few 12VDC Anderson Power Pole connections. Basically I want to be able to hook up anything, power anything (within reason). I want to also be able to self-jump, with a heavy gauge connection between the house batts and the vehicle batt(s).

I'm also reconsidering my design and thinking about placing much of the controller / inverter / converter hardware and a pair of multiport connection panels inside the cargo area sidewall trim. There's lots of usable space in there, but I am quite concerned about something melting down or igniting back behind panels, in a hard to get to place. I want a chance to stop a fire before it consumes the vehicle. The original 'module' idea would have the full top hinged like a cabinet door. Snap crackle pop, I can hit a master fuse or three, grab an extinguisher and open the panel and hose everything down. So I guess I'm asking what if any info or concern you might have about your components? Any warnings or design cautions I should be aware of, what if any steps have you taken along the lines of these concerns?

deminimis

Explorer
I use a T style fuse (400 amp) between my batt banks and the inverter. What I need to do is add a manual breaker/shut off between the panels and controller. This doesn't seem to be the common practice with campers, but a shut is required under housing building codes. Makes sense. Living w/out for now, but when I go to a 45 amp controller, I'll add the 45 amp Type III breaker/shut off. I like these : http://www.cooperindustries.com/con...ve_marinecircuitbreakers/High_Amp_Marine.html. The manual breaker (s)/ shut offs would work well for your setup, I would think.

deminimis

Explorer
After watching the orig Star Wars on a 28" TV with a seperate DVD player, in the teens (so the furnace was kicking on occasionally ), in the dead of night, the batts were at 90%. So, this seems like a winning combination.

deminimis

Explorer
However, where we now park at the ski resort we frequent, we are in the shade nearly all day long (occasionally a beam of light gets through the trees to the panels, for no more than fleeting moments at best). The resort cut back a huge snowbank that we must park near, thus that's why our access to the magical golden orb is now so limited. So, for our particular situation, we will lose ground over a multi-day stay if we rely solely on solar (without moving our rig into the sun (and losing our camping spot -very limited camping spots available at the ski resort)). It's near impossible to get our propane generator started in the cold mountain temps and even when we manage it, yuck. Although I did not want to carry another fuel on board, even though we have the room, we decided to supplement our system with a Honda eu2000i (we needed a generator for home when our power goes out anyway). It seems a good call. Pretty quiet and super easy to start (even in the single digits). It's nice to know we have a reliable backup source of juice should we need it. Once I install an ACR and have access to all those truck alternator amps, I may find I never need the Honda, but like I said, we needed something for our house anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman