camper mb 917 cabin electrics

canals1164

Observer
Hi
iam building an camper on merc 917 I need to decide on what electrical needs i will have, I think I will keep to 24v on cabin battries and already have 6kva 240v generator and large truck alternator (as fire engine spec). I plan on having gas hob and combination microwave oven for cooking and a compressor fridge. What would be a reasonable size invertor and size of leisure battries to allow for 240v needs?

I have no doubt that we will have more equipment such as radio, computer and phone chargers, any thoughts?

ian

Joe

Observer
Hi,

I had a fridge working on 230V in my camper van. I took it out and replaced it against one working on 24V DC. Reason: Even if the fridge was not working the converter used 1% of its power from the batteries. Because I have 2 converters (2,5 kW + 3 kW) the result was a permanent drain out of the batteries of 2,5 Amps (I have a 24V system).
Remember that motors need 5 to 10 times more power for the starting process! Especially if you have a airco with an average consumption of e.g. 100W you may need up to 1.000 W whilst the starting of the airco.

Cheers

canals1164

Observer
thanks Joe

I hadnt thought I would need that much power, what do you use two invertors for? Your picture shows a merc what model is it and how heavy is it. We are using an aluminium chassis and composite cabin. I am hoping to keep below 7000kgs.
cheers
Ian

Joe

Observer
Hi Ian,

its an 1217A. Weight of chassis with Motor etc. ~5,5t. Weight with all accessories, spares, tools, 500l Water, 550l diesel, a generator from German army (mentioned that to point out that it is fuc... heavy! :) ), etc. etc. it is at the moment at 11 tons! OK, the furniture is solid!!

Here in Germany we have an important driving license issue which is at 7,5t. So everybody tries to stay underneath - nearly nobody achieves it!!! With the 917 you MAY be able, BUT you must think a lot what to carry with you!! My 2C.

I'd recommend a 3kw inverter. I have a Xantrex and it has been good for over 5 yrs. As far as batteries, the more he better. I have 4 4D Lifeline AGMs, 840 Ahr.
Read Stephen Stewart's article "Choosing a Campervan".

Charlie

canals1164

Observer
Joe
thanks I may have to leave wife or some beer at home to keep below limit, we have same limit of 7.5t I have licence for trucks so its not the end of the world if we go over 7.5t. Do you have 385/ 22.5 wheels if so what tyres do you use.
All these things to decide and so little cash!
regards
ian

Joe

Observer
Hi Ian,

yepp, exactly those.
On the front I got Marshall, on the rear axle Continental HTC after a problem 2010 with the Marshall in Iceland. Had heard there profile is a little bit more "negative" but I have to admit that I was a little bit disappointed. So I am thinking to try for the front axle in 1 or 2 years the ones from Micheline - let's see. Prob with that size is, that you don't get an appropriate profile for gras and mud!! All tires which I saw with a good profile where re-newed ones - and how you can use these with low pressure in sand .... ???

canals1164

Observer
charlie
thanks yes I looked at article it is very helpful, it is dificult to try to ballance wants with cost, I guess as always with projects like this it seems to be all the small things that add up.

ian

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan