Camper Shell Sleeping for 3 - bunk?

Expedition_Matt

I have a Dodge Ram longbed and would like to try some shell camping. 3 + dog if we can handle it. Has anyone made a bunk to go across the truck where the shell meets the cab? This is for someone under 5'6" so maybe it will work. I have a fiberglass shell. In other words, is there a reliable way to have a bunk perpendicular to the length of the truck, at the front of the shell where it meets the cab of the truck? I do not yet have any platform for the shell and will make due on that front - just need to get a 3rd person in with some semblance of comfort.

getout

Adventurer
I don't know if you're still looking for ideas as it's been a while since your first post, but this is what I did in the back of my F250 so the platforms sections were removable. They were each 2' wide and I had three in the 8' box. I wanted the full bed clear from platform supports.

We had a FlipPac as well and stored gear under the platform, the kids slept on top of the platform, and my wife and I slept up top.

If you need a place for just one sleeping width wise, you could just put one section at your feet.

Anyway, just a thought. I'll be excited to see what you come up with.

P6040092.jpgP6040094.jpg
P6040098.jpgP2250013.jpg

Oobray

Adventurer
Getout,

That looks like a pretty good, simple plan. You don't happen to have any pics with gear packed in do you?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger