Camping and adventure roads near Pioneertown?

Flyer69

Observer
Heading to Pioneertown in April, and I'm looking for some advice on nearby trails and dispersed camping areas. I'm sure this has been asked so many times before, so please forgive my ignorance. My wife has never been to JT or seen the desert sky at night, and I haven't been there since I was in Boy Scouts back in the early 80's. We'd like to do an easy trail run in the morning, get to camp in the afternoon, have a good dinner, sip cocktails by the fire and check out the night sky. We'd prefer to camp outside JTNP to avoid crowds:sombrero:. Any suggestions or links to previous reports would be much appreciated. Thanks!:sombrero:

pmatusov

AK6PM
Burns Canyon Road leads to Big Bear Lake area - a good easy/moderate four wheel drive trail. There are some side "excursions" looping back to Burns Canyon Rd - some may be bad enough to turn a weekend into an "adventure." Also, trails 1N01 and 1N04 split off that road and end at Hwy.38 near 8000 ft, so if there's any snow on the ground, you'll run into it.
Another fun trail off Burns Canyon is Rattlesnake Canyon - leading to hwy.247.

Flyer69

Observer
Thanks for all the suggestions. I think my plan is to take Berdoo Canyon rd from Dillon into JT on Friday and camp for the night at White Tank or one of the other campgrounds in the park. Saturday we'll cruise around and maybe exit Old Dale/Gold Crown Rd.

I expect I'll be fine in my Tundra 4wd AC. Anyone been out to Old Dale lately?

CabinFever

Observer
Burns Canyon Road leads to Big Bear Lake area - a good easy/moderate four wheel drive trail. There are some side "excursions" looping back to Burns Canyon Rd - some may be bad enough to turn a weekend into an "adventure." Also, trails 1N01 and 1N04 split off that road and end at Hwy.38 near 8000 ft, so if there's any snow on the ground, you'll run into it.
Another fun trail off Burns Canyon is Rattlesnake Canyon - leading to hwy.247.

I second Burns canyon road. Also, at the base of burns canyon road on the Pioneertown side there are some really scenic desert side trails. Good camping at both the top of the mountain and down in the desert.

LeadAndLipstick

Trying to revive this thread. I see the conversation happened in 2016 but does anyone know how it is in 2024? Plan to go in April and really interested in dispersed camping which I understand that can be done via Burns Canyon Trail? Any new info would be appreciated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online