Camping Without a Campfire?

swordmetal

I'm heading out this weekend with the whole family-wife, 2 year old son, 3 month old daughter and all the in laws, grandparents etc. Typically when we/I go, it's primitive camping all the way (paying to use the outdoors just seems wrong to me). This time we're doing the campground thing though. The bad news is I just found out that campfires are a no-no right now due to fire danger. With no campfire, what do we do at night? That is my favorite part of camping-cold beer, hot fire and good company! Short of watching a movie in my bro in laws trailer (thumbs down, I would just stay home if I wanted to do that) or setting up shop next to the lantern with a book, I'm not really sure what to do. Suggestions please!

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
We have very serious burn restrictions almost year round here in the desert southwest...
that is why I have a Fire Dancer portable propane fire pit. I can use it anywhere regardless of burn issues and while it is only enough for the family it is perfect for that.
Also we can have a quick morning fire then pack it up and go.

RU55ELL

Explorer
Kids enjoy playing around with flashlights. You could do scavenger hunts, hide and seek, etc. You just have to use your imagination. :)

Desert Dan

Explorer
Look at the stars.

Sometime when in dry fire prone areas I don't have fires (even if allowed). I don't want to worry. I like to BBQ but usually have a stove top or no cook dinner option if fires aren't allowed.

Kids enjoy playing around with flashlights. You could do scavenger hunts, hide and seek, etc. You just have to use your imagination. :)

Glowsticks are cheap at Oriental trading company or on Ebay and are good for hours and hous of fun. They also double as nightlights once playtime is over.

Kevin

Moody

Needs to get out more
You can cut them open and let the kids paint with the liquid. Good times for sure. It stains clothes so be aware of that.

craig333

Expedition Leader
Are you sure they're prohibited in developed campgrounds? Its rare here, and California has been burning just fine, to outlaw them in developed campgrounds.

"Wood and charcoal fires are prohibited except in designated developed campgrounds. A California Campfire permit is still needed for use of a gas stove or grill". Current restrictions as of today.

bobDog

Expedition Leader
Glowsticks are cheap at Oriental trading company or on Ebay and are good for hours and hous of fun. They also double as nightlights once playtime is over.

Kevin

O yeah....glow sticks and a campfire are a lot alike.....I remember sitting around the old glowstick pile talking to friends ....maybe a beer ...... then putting the glow sticks in the cooler for the next night. Those were the times!:D

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior