Can Cooker Jr.

I do! My singular use for it thus far has been for baby back ribs. Pros - lightweight, easy to clean, effective. Cons - pricey. Accessories are also pricey so avoid if possible. The rack is not included and is sold separately. If you have a collapsible steamer basket use it instead. Otherwise, get the rack. Recommendation - take the can leave the rack. Ribs came out fine!

FYI, I bought the can cooker as an alternative to my Ninja Foodi pressure cooker and also to my Weber Q 2200 grill. The Ninja Foodi 8 qt is huge, bulky, and has a separate lid for pressure cooking. The Weber is even more bulky, burns meat because the burner is too close to the grates, and had a lot of parts failures. The can cooker doesn't cook ribs as fast the pressure cooker but it's faster than the Weber and has no parts to fail.

Recently, I bought the 6.5 quart Ninja Foodi SmartLid which is a single piece unit hoping that not having a separate pressure lid and smaller size would be better for usability but turns out is is quite the energy hog. Wiped out my Ecoflow Delta 1300 in 40 minutes while cooking two batches of hot wings. Err, make that one and half since the battery ran out! I use pressure for ribs though and haven't tested it for that. Wings were cooked with high heat and steam (SteamCrisp), 450F/1440 watts/25 minutes per batch.

Still, the Can Cooker on a propane stove is far more efficient in terms of watts vs BTUs. From the efficiency, space savings, weight, and simplicity POVs, the Can Cooker is a winner. The Ninja Foodi is more suited to glamping at campgrounds with electrical hookups.

I intend to do long term usage of both to see which I prefer given the Can Cooker is a one-trick pony. The Weber is out.

Prost!

Last edited:
Reactions: WVI

TwinStick

Explorer
Thanks for the review ! I am really looking forward to using it. I ended up buying the Can Cooker Jr & the bottom 2 piece rack, that was not included. It is the non stick version.

macexpress

Observer
We have a regular size can cooker and a JR. I think they make a mini also. We love it. We throw sausage, shrimp, potatoes, carrots, onions, corn on the cob, butter and seasoning in it. Delicious and can feed a bunch of people
Alot of times we'll pack it before we leave on a camping trip. Throw it on the fire while we are setting up camp, and have supper ready when we are done setting up

Laps

I have the Jr. size and it works great. If I were to buy again I would get the "Companion" size model, as I'm only cooking for myself.

Reactions: WVI

TwinStick

Explorer
Stew came out absolutely amazing. I used a 3.5 lb roast + 2 packages of stew meat, a bunch of potatoes, a bunch of carrots, a package of celery, a bunch of onions. It was so full, I had to press the top on. For liquid, I used 2 cups beef broth and 1 cup Dr. Pepper. For spices, I used Montreal Chicken Seasoning. I started cooking it outside (because wife was cleaning the house) on my Camp Chef Pro 90X. Once the steam came out the hole, I put it on low. Very windy today & flame kept going out. So I finished it up in the house on our electric stove. Ended up being on low for 2 , 45 minute sessions. Meat was sooo tender. I made up a package of roast beef gravy and mixed it in with the juice from cooking. Wife can't stop saying how good it was. I divided the whole batch into 2 containers and took one to my mom & stepdad. They absolutely loved it too.

So I can say with confidence that this is a fantastic cooking vessel. I did not peel the carrots or potatoes, just quartered the onions and potatoes & made 2" pieces of carrot & 1" for the celery. Truly is a set it & forget it till the timer rings cooking vessel. 2 thumbs up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior