Cape Lookout March 19-25 2016

Guitarsail1

Adventurer
So we (I) decided I wanted to hit CALO as a shakedown run for the KAT adventure this Spring/Summer. We learned all we could about it and hit it the week it opened. There wasn't more than 10-12 people on either island the whole time and it was FANTASTIC! Even the wife had fun. So I'll skip the boring parts and get to the pictures!

Here we are loaded up for our 12hr drive from Orlando to Davis, NC.

We arrived about 10pm to 50degrees, 20mph winds, and a slight mist. Made for an awesome picture, but man was it COLD

The RTT did its job get us wind free and dry, and the next morning we were on the first ferry over at 7am..

Again, about 48, windy, no sun, misty, COLD. We made, it and set out south on South Core island for the lighthouse.

We stopped by the old coast guard station

And made camp around 12pm. We were both wiped from the 12hr drive and decided to take a nape in the RTT.

We were greeted with much nicer conditions on day two. Still cold, and windy but the sun was out. Much better!

Breakfast making

Exploring

Far southern point

Wrapped up South Core with a beautiful Sunrise for our 9AM Ferry back before hitting North Core

Guitarsail1

Adventurer
North Core

SO after a few days on South Core we hit North Core (Portsmouth Island) and checked in with the NPS lady to see what the status was on getting to the village. "well it was closed in November" was not a great answer. So we set out the next morning for a low tide shot at getting there. 12 or so miles up the beach the trail head to the village. Now if you travel on the beach towards low tide you can hit the compact hard sand near the water and cruise at 30-40mph no problem. The Billy's on the 4Runner did amazing soaking up the swoops. Great ride.

Beautiful day on North Core, mid 60's..but the wind. Wow, 30mph +. Incredibly windy and would remain so for the next 2 days.

SO they do indeed have the trail to PI Village roped off. We walked the first 1/2 mile on dry land and got to this

Without a second vehicle in case, we weren't driving that way (and it was technically closed anyways!!)
So we headed further north up the beach

When you reach the northern point before the island curves around the sound they have it blocked off to vehicles. So we went on foot, for 3 miles at low tide to the northern marshes. I was determined to see that village. We got within a few hundred yards. It was an awesome adventure getting there.

We covered North Core island up and down at least twice. I love that island more so than South for sure. The terrain is prettier, more desolate, and beautiful.

We explored a few more days and had a blast.

Just don't end up like this guy!!

All in all an amazing trip we will make again for sure! Through the bitter cold my wife still loved it. Once it warmed up the bugs started coming out, LOOK OUT!

By the way there is Gas on both islands at $5 a gallon, hot water in the bath house and sporadic potable water throughout. We had a Road Shower that was great for washing dishes and water supply but found the showers a nice ending on each island. Otherwise we roughed it. It is a great trip and I can't wait to go again!

huachuca

Adventurer
Thanks for posting; enjoyed the pictures and the narrative. Portsmouth is our favorite as well for exactly the reasons you stated.

Also glad the missus had a good time. Cold and wind combined can make some miserable conditions but it sounds like you folks did well. May and October are the two best months to visit with a better chance for warm but not unbearably hot temps and likely less bugs. Its too bad you couldn't get to the Village as it really adds to the experience but the good news is you now have a reason to plan a return trip.

smlobx

Wanderer
Thanks for the report. As many times as I have been to the OBX I have never been there. Hopefully I'll rectify that this fall after we get our camper.
As far as the wind is concerned it is almost always windy on the OBX. As was said before when the wind dies down the bugs come out with a vengance!

northshorejeeps

Heck yeah brother! Love the report, love the photos.... definitely want to see more of the latter.

The Runner looks ************ with the new vinyl wrap, too. Great choice on color.

GI Pirate

Observer
Great Trip

We went last August, too hot to catch drum. But we hooked a few small fish. Portsmouth was the inspiration for me to buy a slide in. We stayed in the cabins last year, so this is a very "do-able" trip, even if you don't have a ton of gear. Great pictures, I like that 4runner.

Portsmouth.jpg

concretejungle

Adventurer
cool write up! I hit Portsmouth about twice a year. I always camp up north right near the entrance to the village and before you get to the end where they just recently roped that off. Years ago you had to really risk driving around the point because if you were there and high tide came up, you were trapped and it could get really hairy.

Also if you go in the warm months the mosquitos and green head flies will tear your butt up.

Guitarsail1

Adventurer
Yes...haha. The last morning we were there it was finally warming up (so like 58 in the morning) and there wasn't much wind that morning. We had the vestibules on the windows on the RTT popped open which make nice little caves for bugs (thank goodness for screened windows) The sun hit the tent and mother of God the amount of Mosquitos that were up in the vestibules was the most unholy site I've ever seen. I donned full long sleeve everything and VERY carefully slipped out of the tent (as to not let them in with my wife who would FLIP S!@#) and did a little deet fogging to get them all out of those areas. It was pretty amazing how many mosquitos there were. I've never seen anything quite like it. Luckily they are not used to DEET and have no interest in that.

Greenbean

B.S. Goodwrench
Thanks for the pics and info bro, I appreciate you taking the time to post the pictures and such...

Love your 4Runner as well. Makes me wanna start nudging the wife to trade the Access Cab in for one as we are hopefully starting a family. Hahaha

We are headed to Ocracoke Island for a week end of this month.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior