Carli Starter Kit install on 2010 Ram 2500

Halligan

Adventurer
Thank you sir. been running the setup over a year now with no complaints. I think my next mod is going to be the long travel Carli air bags. I still use my truck as a truck and the lack of the factory overload leaf in the rear can leave the truck squatting rather easy with a heavy load. I'm also contemplating Carli control arms and a steering brace as funds permit.

High_Country

Adventurer
So how does the truck ride compared to stock? I've been eyeing the carli setup as well for my 2011 CCSB 4x4 Ram 2500 (diesel) and was curious about the ride improvement. Did you put new bilstein shocks on it?

tdi2cummins

Hi nice truck and nice install pics as with high country wondering how you like the suspension.

I have had the starter kit for 2 years; it includes bilstein's unvalveable 5100 shocks. My honest experience is that the mini-packs offer minimal ride improvement. I have just purchased sulastic shackles to add to the rear and am hoping that this combined with the mini-packs will improve how the rear behaves. Between these two it will be getting close to the price of a full leaf pack but you live and learn I suppose.

Posting because someone else might benefit from knowing that although Carli make a great product and I like mine don't expect a great improvement with the mini-packs

Halligan

Adventurer
High Country, I find the ride better than stock and the starter kit comes with 5100 Bilsteins.

tdi2cummins, I do like the suspension. As I stated earlier I just need airbags for the times when I'm loaded down with firewood, mulch, or a heavy trailer.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
You'll love the Carli LT bags as they mount inboard and provide huge travel compared to the Firestone's. Sage and I went for a ride on his urban test track in Orange,Ca. The difference in ride was amazing. Good company.

haven

Expedition Leader
Do you change the load rating of the truck with the new springs? My pet peeve with many long travel spring and shock packages is that they reduce the truck's carrying capacity too much.

bloodyWEST

Adventurer
Do you change the load rating of the truck with the new springs? My pet peeve with many long travel spring and shock packages is that they reduce the truck's carrying capacity too much.

from Carli's web page "The 5 leaf progressive add a pack rear springs remove the lower overload leaf and replaces it with 5 thinner gauge leafs - the same load capacity is maintained while increasing movement in the rear of the vehicle. Improved ride is achieved."

except the mini pacs for the 2nd gen dodges say 15% reduction in load carrying.

my understanding is the "improved ride" on road is simply a bonus, they are designed to make the truck ride better when moving quick in the desert, when cycling though the entire travel. For a dual sport that can still handle the weight in the back, you might need the air bags.

I'm at this point with my 97. i dont want the cheap $300 airbags to limit my travel, but i need them when towing. I cant afford $900 for LT airbags. i wonder how difficult it is to just remove the bags when i'm headed to the desert.

Halligan

Adventurer

My understanding of the carli mini leaf pack is the load capacity is the same but the rear of the truck will squat more with any given load vs. stock. I've noticed that when pulling a heavy trailer or loading the bed with firewood the rear squats pretty good. I ordered the Carli air bags along with a steering brace and UPS delivered them today. I may have to alter my stock exhaust though when I install the airbags. What I'm hearing is the exhaust resonator on the Hemi powered Rams may interfere with the airbag. Oh well, time to spend more $$$$$ I guess.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
I really like the work you have done Halligan. I am sure that your truck will be awesome:Wow1:when you gat all the upgrades installed. Please remember to post lots of pics when you are done and maybe some flexing:Wow1: pics too! Cheers, Chilli.....:)

Halligan

Adventurer
Thanks Chilli. I installed the steering brace today and took the truck out for a run down some really bad roads in my area and I do feel a difference in the steering. I can't describe it exactly but if feels "tighter" up front. I'm waiting for the axle brackets for the air bags to arrive. The vendor did not have them in stock so they're shipping direct from Carli. Once I get them the air bags will be installed.

leelikesbikes

Adventurer
Hi nice truck and nice install pics as with high country wondering how you like the suspension.

I have had the starter kit for 2 years; it includes bilstein's unvalveable 5100 shocks. My honest experience is that the mini-packs offer minimal ride improvement. I have just purchased sulastic shackles to add to the rear and am hoping that this combined with the mini-packs will improve how the rear behaves. Between these two it will be getting close to the price of a full leaf pack but you live and learn I suppose.

Posting because someone else might benefit from knowing that although Carli make a great product and I like mine don't expect a great improvement with the mini-packs

ive got the starter kit on my hemi reg cab and the mini packs dont make a huge difference on the first few inches of travel, but they sure are a ride improvement when your hammering really rough stuff at speed, ive also noticed the ride quality is a little better with a few hundred lbs of gear in back. those sulastic shackles look really interesting, if they offer some small bump compliance for the first few inches of travel they might be an awesome combo with the mini packs, let me know how you like em once youve run em a bit. thanks

tdi2cummins

ive got the starter kit on my hemi reg cab and the mini packs dont make a huge difference on the first few inches of travel, but they sure are a ride improvement when your hammering really rough stuff at speed, ive also noticed the ride quality is a little better with a few hundred lbs of gear in back. those sulastic shackles look really interesting, if they offer some small bump compliance for the first few inches of travel they might be an awesome combo with the mini packs, let me know how you like em once youve run em a bit. thanks

Just installed the sulastics this morning. I took me about 3 hours but if you had all your tools organized I'm sure it could be done quicker. I will check back in with ride report once I have driven the truck for a few days.

tdi2cummins

Well the truck does not ride like a caddy but it is much more livable. The jolting is much reduced, I am happy with my purchase and would recommend them. I think the sulastics did more for the ride than the mini-packs I installed. Hope this is helpful.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman