CB Tune & Tweak? Worth it?

Off-Grid Engineering

Supporting Sponsor
I just bought my Uniden 520xl from claysradioshop.com and they offered to peak and tune it for extra TX power. $24.50. Anybody done this? Worth it?

Photog

Explorer
If they do a good job, it is worth it; but most shops don't. You would be better off getting a proper SWR adjustment, after installation. All the TX peaking and tuning won't do you any good, without a good SWR tune.

Do a little research online, about peaking and tuning of a CB. The 520XL is a good radio out of the box, and it can be improved a little, with a proper peak & tune.

gary in ohio

Explorer
Tacomedic said:
I just bought my Uniden 520xl from claysradioshop.com and they offered to peak and tune it for extra TX power. $24.50. Anybody done this? Worth it?

Any extra power will either make the radio illegal or add no significant power to the radio. Even peaking to legal power will seldom make a difference over factory power level. A watt or even 2 for the average CB radio will never be seen on the receive side. Put the 24.50 into upgrading your antenna system.

Off-Grid Engineering

Supporting Sponsor
Yea, I got the best antenna system I could for where I'm going to mount it... but I dont even want to get into that... I know how people's opinions are about where to mount your antenna :)

soonenough

Explorer
Don't forget that no matter how far you can transmit, it does you no good unless the people you're talking to can transmit that far as well. Otherwise they'll be able to hear you, but won't be able to transmit far enough for you to hear them.

RocTrac

Adventurer
usually in a peak and tune they also turn up the gain as well so that you can hear weaker signals. check out cbradioforum.com for more info. The antenna is going to be where you want to spend a little money. Take the time and bond everything that will reduce your recieved noise and help with your SWR.

Off-Grid Engineering

Supporting Sponsor
I really wanted to go with a good base load antenna mounted on the roof but I didn't for a couple of reasons. I ended up going with the firestik FL series 36" top-load antenna that I will be mounting on the edge of the hood/ fender area. I did not get the 520xl tuned. Hopefully, once I adjust my SWR, I will have a decent setup. What do you guys think?

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
what bracket?

What bracket did you get to mount on the edge? This sounds like the set-up I am leaning towards... Thanks

S

Scenic WonderRunner

Don't Anybody get excited about Clay's Radio Shop..........!

Yes........! It's been there since I was driving 18 wheelers in the late 1970's. Located just off the I~20 on the way the Dallas. I never stopped......but always knew where it was. The dudes always bragged how their Tweeked CB's from Clay's would go Loud...blah blah, all over the US. I've been talking on the CB Radio since 1976! Hum....is that longer than most of you have been driving>?!!:bike_rider: :eek: :sombrero: :safari-rig:

Um.........Anyway!......hehe

So........

This past summer I was driving by. Along the I~20. So I stopped in.

I was NOT Empressed!

I would Recommend that Nobody Buy a CB or 10/12 whatever Meter Radio ..........or ANY Radio......from Clay's.

A bunch of dudes in a back room on da net..........!

2008_0419AZNMTXtrip0039-1.jpg

Yes! I took this pic of their shop.

2008_0419AZNMTXtrip0043-1.jpg

I did NOT get good answers to my questions..........so I left and did not give them my money!

I guess if you had a big rig.........They could install it here. But me thinks...that might have been 30+ years ago.

2008_0419AZNMTXtrip0042-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Off-Grid Engineering

Supporting Sponsor
Haha! that's pretty funny. I had no idea that's where I was ordering my stuff from!

Anyways, I didn't need anyone knowledgeable to talk to. I already new what I wanted and simply ordered from the place that gave me the best price... and that place was Clay's. I wanted to order from Walcotts CB because I have heard so many good things about them. Not only were their prices higher but I received some pretty crappy customer service. The guy I spoke to was grouchy and very short with me, almost like he just wanted to get off the phone. That goes along way for me. A guy named Chris at Clays Radio Shop spoke to me on three different occasions in one day, each call lasting about ten minutes! He never got tired of answering my questions. Clays gets my vote!

Off-Grid Engineering

Supporting Sponsor
Tacomedic said:
I really wanted to go with a good base load antenna mounted on the roof but I didn't for a couple of reasons. I ended up going with the firestik FL series 36" top-load antenna that I will be mounting on the edge of the hood/ fender area. I did not get the 520xl tuned. Hopefully, once I adjust my SWR, I will have a decent setup. What do you guys think?

Anyways, what do you guys think about my setup?

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
I'm interested too.

I'm interested too.
Have you received your order yet? Did the bracket fit between the hood and fender? On my truck the clearance is TIGHT... good Toyota build ; )

I was planning tha same stuff except using the Cobra 75 series CB

Thanks

Off-Grid Engineering

Supporting Sponsor
mtnbike28 said:
I'm interested too.
Have you received your order yet? Did the bracket fit between the hood and fender? On my truck the clearance is TIGHT... good Toyota build ; )

I was planning tha same stuff except using the Cobra 75 series CB

Thanks

I'll let you know as soon as it arrives. I'm planning on using two of these brackets... one on ech side of the hood. The other one will be for my 2m antenna when I get my license! I'll let you know how it works out. The only thing I'm concerned about is the short, fiberglass, top-load, antenna. They're not the best choice from what I've read, but, for where I'm mounting it, it was pretty much my only option.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan