Celica Expo rig, first trip

Jrally

Adventurer
I do rally race, but this isn't my rally car. I just liked the idea of something different for off road camping trips, it's not big enough for more then a few days out, but then again it's hard for me to get away for more than that right now anyways. It is the 22re engine, fresh rebuilt engine just installed. The tranny is the same basic one used in the pick-up and 4Runners of the era. The rear axle is from a Cressida wagon, 4.10:1, and 1" wider than stock. 9" of rear travel, 7-1/2" of front travel.
For build pics and more details, look in the "Other" vehicle forum section, "New Adventure Toy(ata) in AZ". I don't want to get this thread off topic, which is meant to be about the Expedition, not the details of the car.

-Jon

Viggen

Just here...
This is awesome! My friend and I have always dreamed about building a version of a Golf Country.

Jrally

Adventurer
Thanks for posting the link to the build section. I'm hoping to keep it updated. The car is getting a custom gas tank installed right now, so I can better seal up the back end from the dust. I wish I had taken more pictures during my day trip. The places we went, I would have never guessed it could have done some of sections we did. Obviously, I still didn't find it's limit, since I never got stuck. Once the interior is finished up and I get my roof rack built, it should take me most places I want to see in the SouthWest. My original plans called for building a custom roof top tent set-up as well, maybe, someday... But I'm thinking it'll be easier to pull a small trailer behind instead.
-Jon
(a VW Golf Country would be a fantasic Expedition car)

Michael Slade

Untitled
The thread on the build of the Celica is here http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39512

I love this project! Sure, there are places you can't go with 2WD. But
all vehicles have their limits. Congratulations on helping the rest of us
see overland travel from a different perspective.

And how! I just drove 500+ miles on dirt roads last week in my Tdi Passat! Camping and photographing some super remote areas of Utah. I wish I had the ground clearance and the protection you have on your Celica. People underestimate the power of good driving and 2WD.

Sweet Celica man! :victory:

T.Low

Expedition Leader
This is awesome! My friend and I have always dreamed about building a version of a Golf Country.

Go for it!

Great Celica. Love your attitude.

I wanted to do it to a '91 Honda 4wd Civic Wagovan but was talked out of it. Here it is 15 years later and I still regret it!

That regret was turned into a lot of "stick to your guns" when I got the idea to modify an Astro van.

Cool, unique things can happen when you don't let people stop you. Nice work!

Last edited:

Jrally

Adventurer
Thanks again for all the encouragement. I'm headed back out again, finally, with the new gas tank installed and the back end mostly all sealed up to the dusty world under the car. I'll try to post some new pics HERE early next week. I just finished rebuilding sections of the exhaust system tonight. 2 of the three nuts were missing out of the down pipe after the last trip, so now there is an 8" flex section just past the down pipe section. Also, I finally installed the free flowing CAT, got to keep the car legal...

-Jon

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
I love this project! Sure, there are places you can't go with 2WD. But
all vehicles have their limits. Congratulations on helping the rest of us
see overland travel from a different perspective.

Agreed!

I must admit when I read the title I was a bit perplexed.

Now that I have read through this thing, it looks like you have yourself a very nice vehicle for what you are looking to do with it.

I think you will be a lot more comfortable than your friends with their buggies, with your AC and such.

Cheers
Brian

Jrally

Adventurer
Yeah, it's sort of a do-all car. It's comfortable driving the the road or down the trails, with Toyota's legendary 22re reliability. At least for now, it'll do what I want. If things change, I started to figure out how to put an AWD system in using mostly FWD later model front end pieces coupled to a Tacoma/4Runner front diff assembly. Suzuki makes a very compact divorced transfercase that might make it all possible... (Aaahhh, the dreams continue!!!)
-Jon

OB-1

Nice work Jon!

The first car I bought with my own money was an 84 Celica GT (coupe version). This brings back some fond memories of that car. Wish I still had it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman