CFM related to tool choice

Spur

Adventurer
Someone tried to convince me that crappy HF air tools are a better match to onboard air compressors. A good tool would require more cfm and be hard for an onboard air compressor to keep up with. I was highly skeptical, but don't know enough about air tools to argue. Thoughts?

lcsodiver

Adventurer
well I have a few HF air tools and a few good ones.... they seem to draw the same CFM per type of tool. Almost all air tools will have a PSI and a CFM rating on the box or tool. HF usually lists that on their website, so as long as you can match the CFM it doesn't really matter. Even if the tool draws more than your compressor can deliver, if you have a tank it can build up there and run the tool in short bursts.

If there is a difference in CFM it is going to be a small difference, not a big one.

r_w

Adventurer
Crappy tools need more CFM to get the same torque or RPM out. Or you get less torque/RPM (HP) out of a crappy tool for the same CFM.

That said, HF isn't the only crappy tool maker out there....

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
I have a hard time seeing the justification for taking air tools in the first place, no matter the brand.
If your vehicle is properly prepared before your trip I can't see needing air tools enough to warrant the extra weight compared to something you'd actually use more. After all, you still need to take a breaker bar and/or ratchet anyway.

Spur

Adventurer
Crappy tools need more CFM to get the same torque or RPM out. Or you get less torque/RPM (HP) out of a crappy tool for the same CFM.

That said, HF isn't the only crappy tool maker out there....

That's what I was thinking. A given amount of work will be done by the tool, better to have a more efficient tool.

And yes, while air tools aren't essential, changing a tire with an impact gun is just plain civilized. I wouldn't think of leaving home without it.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
Wow. I didn't even think of changing a wheel. I can change one using a flex head ratchet fast enough it never occurred to me.
I was thinking of things a bit more time consuming like remove radius arm nylocks.

bribassguy

Observer
Crappy air tools are simply less efficient than the good ones.

CENTRAL PNEUMATIC ITEM # 94802
Maximum Torque 230 ft-lb
BPM 1089
Air Consumption 7 SCFM

Ingersol-Rand 2135TIMAX
Maximum Torque 780 ft-lb
BPM 1250
Air Consumption 5 SCFM

Most 1/2" gun I've seen are around 4-5 CFM.

You're running a Viair 450C continuous duty - 2.5 gal tank, outlet at front bumper. You're compressor is rated for con't duty but it just can't keep up. At 90 psi (recommended psi for air tools) you're compressor will pump out only 0.97 CFM.

You've only got a 2.5 gallon tank so you'll be emptying it in a hurry and it will take about 30 seconds for the compressor to got from 85 To 105 PSI.

You may be able to get one lug-nut off at a time, wait 30 seconds for the compressor to fill up, then another. All things being equal, it may be faster to just use a ratchet.

If you really really don't want to spin the bolt by hand then get an electric impact and carry 2 batteries. (They will run a while on a charge and if you've got an inverter you should be able to charge in 15-20 mins).

Milwaukee 2663-22
Maximum Torque 450 ft-lb

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
Just get a CO2 tank and be done with it all.

As a side note, I have the Milwaukee 2663-22, and that thing is a beast. I hardly ever pull out my ingersol, even when at the shop.

~ Stump

Adventurer
I have a hard time seeing the justification for taking air tools in the first place, no matter the brand.
If your vehicle is properly prepared before your trip I can't see needing air tools enough to warrant the extra weight compared to something you'd actually use more. After all, you still need to take a breaker bar and/or ratchet anyway.

HI Anti,
I couldn't agree more. And I have a great compressor, a Warn VTC, that can actually handle air tools. But I don't see the point.

Sparky

KenB1010

A couple of years ago a friend broke his axle tube on the trail. Another member carried a trail welder, but the issue for doing this repair wasn't the welder it was using a grinder to get clean metal for the weld. Someone had an air grinder, but as you know these take a boat load of CFM. They quickly depleted the air tank and it ended up taking a half a day to do the repair waiting for enough air to run the grinder.

After this and some research I purchased a 1500w inverter and now I just use a dewalt grinder.

Scoutn79

Adventurer
One thing I haven't seen mentioned is making up a "T" fitting to parallel two compressors together. While this isn't the ideal set up for normal usage it is very small and could come in handy from time to time when necessity dictates or a storm is bearing down on you etc.

Darrell

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior