Charouleau Gap

tibaal89

Adventurer
Found this thread searching to see if one existed yet... I'm still in the dark about what's going on. There were rumors about equipment parked near the trail about a week ago, now pictures are popping up in different places basically depicting total destruction of the trail.

I was given this link by somebody, lots of recent pics in there: http://wheelingarizona.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14340&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

The most disturbing of all... it's officially gone, I don't even know what to say.

CIMG9745.jpg

I'll likely head out there Saturday morning to see it myself... given the nature of various internet discussions, I'd expect to run into a lot of other people out there doing the same.

ttora4runner

Expedition Leader
Found this thread searching to see if one existed yet... I'm still in the dark about what's going on. There were rumors about equipment parked near the trail about a week ago, now pictures are popping up in different places basically depicting total destruction of the trail.

I was given this link by somebody, lots of recent pics in there: http://wheelingarizona.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14340&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

The most disturbing of all... it's officially gone, I don't even know what to say.

CIMG9745.jpg

I'll likely head out there Saturday morning to see it myself... given the nature of various internet discussions, I'd expect to run into a lot of other people out there doing the same.

In threads I've seen on this I haven't seen that photo. Most of them still show that as being untouched. Wow. :Wow1:

tibaal89

Adventurer
I don't know what their plan is, but if they'd do that I don't see what they wouldn't do... RIP The Gap. :(

timh

Explorer
I have spent a bit of time up there this week trying to help get the destruction stopped. Those photos were taken yesterday afternoon right after they finished that spot.

We met a reporter from the Arizona Daily Star, the Forest Service, and someone from the center for Biological Diversity up there yesterday. Quite a few supporters showed up to show support in stopping the work. According to the contractors doing the work this is a far as they are going to go.

The Forest Service's official stance is that they road is being improved with Aspen Fire rehabilitation money and the road needed to be accessible to fire and emergency crews in the event of either. Also, because of the type of classification that is assigned to the road, the forest service does not have to do any analysis before any kind of "maintenence".

It is a very sad sight to see, and I can bet that after our monsoon season this coming summer the erosion where they took away the solid granite is going to wash the road out completely in some areas.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
It is a very sad sight to see, and I can bet that after our monsoon season this coming summer the erosion where they took away the solid granite is going to wash the road out completely in some areas.

That is one of my biggest concerns. It will be a perfect excuse to close the trail.

I rode one of my motorcycles through there about a month ago (first time I rode the trail on a bike), the mountain is recovering nicely from the fires in '03.

timh

Explorer
That is one of my biggest concerns. It will be a perfect excuse to close the trail.

I rode one of my motorcycles through there about a month ago (first time I rode the trail on a bike), the mountain is recovering nicely from the fires in '03.

Well, it was!!!!!

DarinM

Explorer
Jeez, what a total bummer.
That was the first trail I explored when I moved to Tucson. I'd never done any real four-wheeling and I experience major pucker factor along the trail.
It's hard to describe how depressing it is to read through those threads about what's happened and how it has been done.
I had some good times there.
Progress - very bleeping over-rated.

ttora4runner

Expedition Leader
In one of the articles the last road maintenance to the road was done 8 years ago. So what did the road look like 8 years and why the sudden change then if it was the same?

I really wonder what that is going to look like after a few good rainstorms?

dirtyboots

Observer
Creating motorized trail in Tucson area

If anyone is interested I have posted a thread on Pirate4x4 to work on getting motorized trail designations on forest in the Tucson area. Hoping that any roads that are federally managed will not be rehabilitated seems to be a losing philosophy for the future of wheeling. Let's get together and create a protected source of wheeling sites for all levels.

The thread is under land use issues with dirtyboots as the author.

Thanks

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
It's a horrible catch 22, which results in everyone losing. I guess the one good thing that came out of this was the Center for Biological Diversity and local 4x4 enthusiasts were on the same page for a change. Perhaps that might lead to future collaborations.

This is a first that I've ever seen and I hope common ground can be found a little sooner next time so we don't lose gems like this road. :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior