Chipping an Isuzu NPR 250 Which one ?

BJ48

Hi
New member here, please excuse if I am in the wrong thread.

I did a search and found a little info on getting a little more umph out of my truck in certain conditions.

I tow a 5th wheeler and we are full time on the road,here in Australia, I also have a larger scooter in a storage box on the front of the truck tray.

We are not overly heavy all up but find any wind of any frontal direction, not only kills my speed and progress, but being the AMT model, the thing constantly hunts between 5th and 6th gear !
If I go manual and lock it in 5th then I struggle with very poor fuel consumption and maintaining a reasonable speed where I am not impeding other traffic. And the tranny cooler fan drives me nuts roaring in and out. (at least I think its the tranny cooler fan ?)

I know head winds are always going to get me to a certain degree, but sometimes I really struggle to maintain even 80klms/hour !
And my fuel usage rises rapidly up to the 29/30lt/100klms.

I have been told a Steinbauer chip is the way to go, but am a little disapointed it is not a "plug and play" addition.
It has to be hard wired and connected to the throttle sensor.

Is there any other recommendations anyone can give me ? someone told me "Chipit" now do one for my truck, but I am wary of anything that may change rail pressures or boost levels, as My truck has only 14k on the clock and I am afraid of any warranty implications.

I do appreciate you do not get something for nothing in this world, but If I can just get some improvement in my situation it would be great.

I did read the thread regarding changing to the NPQ 450 ECU, but do not really want to have to change the DPF thingy too, and it starts to become an expensive excercise.

Thanks in Anticipation.

Brian

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12