Climbing Mt. Whitney

kellymoe

Expedition Leader
The East Face of Mt. Whitney has several climbing routes to choose from but the two most popular are the Classic East Face and the East Buttress. Both are comparable in difficulty but in pure aesthetics the East Buttress has more continuous and exposed climbing while the East Face has just a few spots where you really feel the exposure. One of those areas in the Fresh Air Traverse http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t69osX9pc4Y&feature=related
I did not shoot this video but it gives you a good idea of the exposure you are looking at.

Climbing Mt. Whitney is well within the ability of most people, the hardest part of the climb most people will say is the approach to the Eat Face up the rugged North Fork of Lone Pine Creek. If you can climb a ladder you can climb one of these classic routes. Over the years I guided several people on Whitney who had never done any form of climbing at all and everyone made it to the top.

If you already climb I would highly recommend bagging one or both of these classic routes. You will not be disappointed.

151fab

Observer
I have no excuses, when it comes to this. I live in soCal, have climbing experience (Joshua Tree, not mountains) and REI even has a clinic on how to plan for this trip, and I think it's free! I will definitely be climbing Mt.Whitney ASAP. Great of you to have reminded us of such a plausable adventure to so many people.

By the way, route 395 has a ton of beauty and is the portal to so many other popular adventures that you could plan dozens of trips, all accessed from this great stretch of highway.

Scott Brady

Founder
Great stuff. I first climbed Whitney in 1998. A wonderful mountain.

whitney_1_jpg.jpg

kellymoe

Expedition Leader
I have no formal climbing training at all. I have only did or two wall climbs at theme parks like the ones at REI. So you're saying its doable? Are you still doing guided climbs? How much, gear provided, some training included? How long is the hike to get to the starting point? I haven't done much hiking and I am slow. I've hiked half dome twice but with alot of rest stops.

I might be interested in signing up if you're still doing guided climbs or any recommendation to other guides.

It is very doable. The biggest adjustment is the altitude. At sea level the hike to the base of the climb would be a little strenuous but at 11-12k feet it is down right exhausting unless you are in good shape. I did the climb 2 years ago and was very out of shape, the worst I had ever been in on a Whitney climb. I managed to guide two others up the East Butress with a screaming headache from the altitude. It really boils down to how much you are willng to suffer. The better the shape you are in the less you suffer.

I still do private guiding from time to time. If you are interested you can PM me. f I cant do the guiding I can point you in the direction of some good guide services.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears