Coleman Cobalt or similar?

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
I'm casually looking at trailers.

The ~25 year old trailer that I already have to ruggedize will be a "mega-project". I'm not interested in that right now.

A trailer that more or less has the features I want (sleeping areas, inside galley, size) is the Coleman Cobalt.

Intended use is mild trails to the "real" trail head and all within North America. I was toying with the idea of tubbing the wheel wells to get larger tires under it.

Does anyone have any experience with these? What competitor trailers should I look at? I'd prefer something a touch smaller but I don't think I can find that with what I want in features. If/when I buy one I'll be buying used.

TIA!

mph

Expedition Leader
I have the step up from the Cobalt. The Evolution E1. Love the trailer. We taken it on miles of dirt roads and a few hairy spots as well. Just have to go a little slower when things get a little rougher:) The clearance and performance have been great. Plus it is nice to sleep in a comfortable bed, have a hot shower, and a heater for prolonged seasonal use.

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
Yes, that is appealing.

Did you look at other trailers?

I see there is the Starcraft RT series and the Jayco Baja as well.

mph

Expedition Leader
Yes, I did...can't remember the specifics but the warranty was better with the E1 and I liked the layout more. The front deck is small too. I think the Jayco one was large. Might be able to hold an atv and that was not my interest. I wanted the trailer to be small as possible but have amenities our family can enjoy! Granted, you are not going to bomb down a Canyonlands 4 wheel drive road but there are many places you can take it with a little patience. People always find us in the backcountry and looks at us like, "how and the hell did you get back here?" Usually, when we are enjoying the hot shower:)

All the systems work great...We were in northern Idaho for 10 days last summer and used just 5 gallons of propane to cool the fridge, run the stove, etc. I think they got it dialed in real well.

I also like camping in the fall and I know there are two trips we would not have made due to my daughter without the heater. She is 8 months old and we were camping in late November. 19 degrees out at night and 70 in the trailer. It was nice!!!!

I would be happy to send you some pics if you want...Just give me your email address.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior