Colorado in Mid November?

pskhaat said:
BTW lockers are not a requirement in Moab! Never decide not to do Moab because of a lack thereof ;)

Lack of experience on the rocks is also a deterrent.... But hey, could be (as we say in Louisiana) a lernin sperience.

Not all of Moab is rocks...some is bottomless sand :p. There are plenty of great scenic trails to get a guy started, even with a bone stock truck with open diffs and small tires. It's about 5.5-6 hours from Denver.

Some of the stuff around Buena Vista might still be open, tho Old Chinaman Gulch is NOT an easy trail, lockers highly recommended and full armor pretty much required for a large rig like a Tundra or current model Tacoma. Smaller stuff like Jeeps, FJs etc can sneak through the tighter sections w/o a problem...but honestly that's not really a scenic trail, more like a playground loop.

If you can get as far as Grand Junction and you like to hike and mountain bike, Colorado National Monument is beautiful, as is Fruita in general, the Little Book Cliffs wild horse area, and the Bangs Canyon area includes hiking, wheeling and mountain biking.

-Sean

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
FWIW I made it most of the way down Hole-in-the-Rock (East) in an unlocked (LSD-only) Montero running 235/75 x 15 tires, including some pretty intimidating shelves.

RALLY11.jpg

RALLY05.jpg

RALLY15.jpg

Martinjmpr said:
FWIW I made it most of the way down Hole-in-the-Rock (East) in an unlocked (LSD-only) Montero running 235/75 x 15 tires, including some pretty intimidating shelves.

RALLY11.jpg

RALLY05.jpg

RALLY15.jpg
Wanna show us around??? :arabia:

Rubi-Khan

Observer
LOT,

I'm not that far from Colorado Springs and might be able to show you around a bit.

There's a remote chance Medano Pass going into the Dunes might be open, but I wouldn't plan on it. It's lower in elevation than many of the passes. If you go in the main entrance to the Dunes be sure to at least see how far they'll let you go up the Medano 4wd road. You'll get a lot closer to the dunes in your truck than you otherwise would.

-neal

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Rubi-Khan said:
Martin,

I've been itching to run HITR again soon. You're really giving me the fever!

-neal

Well, I made it as far as the base of Gray Mesa. At that point, the road was too badly rutted for me to get up with my stock tires/no lift/no lockers/manual transmission. I tried 5 or 6 times until it became obvious that I was slowing everyone else down (it's also significant that I had the smallest tires of anyone in the group and the only MT.) So, I just parked and locked my truck at the base of Gray Mesa and rode the rest of the way with one of the other guys to the end. Going through "the Chute" was a trip! One guy almost rolled onto his side, and everybody needed spotters to make it to the bottom.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
pskhaat said:
You make that sound like a bad thing!

I love my MT but I have to be candid and admit it was a problem going up gray mesa. Basically, I kept stalling out, even in 4 lo. The guys with the autoboxes could go as slow and steady as they wanted to up the obstacles, where I kept lurching up, killing the engine, and sliding back. I think with bigger tires, a suspension lift, or possibly just more experience, I could have made it, but like I said, it was obvious that I was delaying everyone else so that's why I threw in the towel.

Back on Labor Day I did Saints John, Radical Hill (the West side - not the difficult side) North Swan River and Georgia Pass with a couple of auto-equipped TJs. On that trip, which had some scary-steep downhill stuff, I was grateful for having a manual box that I could put into low-low and just let it chug down the hill, while the guys with the autos had to use a lot of brake.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998