Colorado Mary Murphy Mine, Tincup and Cottonwood Pass 9.24.23

ttora4runner

Expedition Leader
Back at end of September of 2023 I finally made back into the Mary Murphy Mining area and Pomeroy Lake after mountain biking past the turn off on a number of occasions outside of St Elmo, Colorado. The area didn't disappoint though I would've liked to haven seen it greener and not having the sun in my view as I drove to Pomeroy Lake.

View from the one rest area on the main road.

View from FSR 295

Turnoff

Siding.

Last edited:

ttora4runner

Expedition Leader
After checking out the structures I headed further up the road to Pomeroy Lake. I opted to stop near the end of the trail and hike the remaining way since the hardest obstacle on the trail lay ahead and I didn't want to tackle it with the sun in my face.

Left side is harder than the right side.

Left side

Right side

Pomeroy Lake

Upper Pomeroy Lake is back in this area which I didn't hike to.

Heading back down the trail to head over Tincup Pass to Mirror Lake and Tincup.

Tincup Pass in the distance

On the descent down to Mirror Lake I ran across an individual in a Toyota Sequoia who had gotten a flat tire driving up the rocky road (street tires). He was having troubles trying to get the stock tire down and I attempted to help but ran into the same issue he was having with trying to get the tire rod to connect to be able to lower the tire. I felt kind of bad that I wasn't able to help but when I reached Mirror Lake I asked a small group of people heading up the trail to see if they could assist him. Hopefully, they were able to help him.

Mirror Lake

ttora4runner

Expedition Leader
After stopping for a short time at the lake for lunch and hiking around a little I head north out of Tincup over to Taylor Park and then back up and over Cottonwood pass before returning home. The Taylor Park and Cottonwood pass area have been on my list for awhile to visit as well.

Quick stop of what remained of Abbeyville

Taylor Park area from the last stop before heading over Cottonwood Pass.

View from Cottonwood Pass

The pass

Overall, it was a great trip and left me wanting to come back to explore the area more. Though next time I'll take the mudflaps off my truck so I don't rip them off.

cbmontgo

Observer
One of my favorite areas. I haven't been up to Pomeroy Lakes in about 3 years. Interesting how those structures have decayed a little more since I was there last.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior