Colorado White River NF and Independence Ghost Town

ttora4runner

Expedition Leader
Back in August (2 days prior to my Crested Butte trip) as part of my 2 week summer vacation/trip/adventure I headed out over Independence Pass here in Colorado to do a short hike to 3 different lakes in the White River Nation Forest, Hunter-Frying Pan Wilderness then over to the ghost town site of Independence.

View from the trialhead.

First lake - Linkins Lake. Had this lake to myself.

Second lake - Independence Lake.

Hikers on the trail.

Third Trail - Lost Man Lake.

I opted to not hike down to the lake due to concerns with the weather, so I just view it from the pass.

Fisher on the rock jetty.

On the way back I past a number of single hikers and hikers in the small to medium groups (one large group was loud and walking off trail) so getting to the trailhead early again paid off. I enjoyed the solitude/peace while it lasted.

ttora4runner

Expedition Leader
Once back at the trailhead I made the short drive down to the Independence Ghost Town.

So this was really the only sign in the area mentioning the Native American tribe in the area. A short way past this at the other parking area the donation station had graffiti/writing all over it complaining that the area doesn't go enough into the Native American history in area and that they wouldn't be giving a donation. I understand their frustration but doing what they did doesn't help their complaint over not having enough Native American history. Go to the historical committee in the area and talk with them and not deface things.

Last edited:

ttora4runner

Expedition Leader

After hiking around the area a little more it was back to vehicle for a quick lunch. Now I had originally planned to do some hiking up at Independence Pass but given the weather situation (raining when I go up there) I opted to just come back another time to hike the trails along the pass. Despite the weather it was a great time/opportunity to get out and explore the area.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior