Compact Camper: Honda Element vs 1990 Vanagon vs, 1965 Baja Bug

10degnorth

Hello everyone, I apologize if this is the wrong place to put this is the wrong place to put this, but it seamed the past place for it. I currently have a 1965 Baja Bug, and id like to do a lot of road tripping and camping this upcoming summer. I have a budget of about $2500 plus $2700 or so that I could get from selling the bug. So my question is hat do you guys think would be best of the following options:

1. Current setup plus a CVT, 2001 Passat for a reliable car and the Bug with a CVT tent on the top for camping and fun (We have a CVT dealer here where I live so it would be pretty easy to get)

2. Sell both Passat and Bug to buy a Honda Element and convert it into a micro camper with a bed in the back and full conversion with solar etc..

3. Sell just the Bug and pick up a 1990 Vanagon that is available in my area for about $3500

Any input would be great, just want to hear opinions and suggestions. Keep in mind I have a highschooler's budget and whatever I end up with here will probably end up taking me to college. Thanks

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
Keep what you have especially if both are paid for and are mechanically sound. Run the Passat for every day duties and the bug for fun, just go light for packing it. Bugs take a beating and are relatively cheap to fix compared to other rigs.
The Vanagon could be a huge money pit for repairs.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
I would swap the Bug for the Vanagon. We have an Element as a daily driver, and my observations are:
1. Space is really, really tight in it.
2. The AWD system is marginal. It really is pretty much front wheel drive.
3. Mileage is lower than what you would expect for something so small and underpowered.
4. Ground clearance is really low.

Don't get me wrong - as a daily driver around town, the Element is great. It just is not a lot of fun for a long trip.

borison

Adventurer
My gut says element and rtt for reliability and versatility. My experience with VW is expensive, my experience with Honda not so much.

10degnorth

This vanagon that is available had an engine and tranny rebuild about 40k miles ago, they say it runs and gives great, just needs a little paint. Thoughts on this? Does this make the vanagon any more worth getting? Thanks again

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
This vanagon that is available had an engine and tranny rebuild about 40k miles ago, they say it runs and gives great, just needs a little paint. Thoughts on this? Does this make the vanagon any more worth getting? Thanks again

$3500 is pretty cheap for a Vanagon these days...which tells me it probably needs work. Are-you ready to do repairs? do you have a place to work on the van? 1990 is 28 years old. Everything is going to need replacements on a 28 years old work vehicle, not just the engine or transmission.

Don't get me wrong, I like these (I have a Westfalia Syncro) but if you are tied on budget, I would look for something else.

Without knowing the specifics, my advice would be to sell both cars and put the cash as a deposit for a newer vehicle (preferable a Toyota 4Runner or Tacoma). Once you start camping and road tripping, you're not going to want to stop. And you will want 4x4 very quickly...

:)

Riley

Observer
Honestly, for a soon to be college student, get a truck.

Real 4 wheel drive, a bed to camp out of, a shell for bad weather a bed tent otherwise, upper teens in mileage, not fragile, able to haul all your stuff (bikes, microwaves, dorm fridges, etc) as you move about the next 4 years.

Checking Craig's list for Bend there are several good candidates, a couple of Rangers, earlier chevy's, a suburban or two for around 3k or possibly less. They are not tough to find parts for and generally reliable. Another plus is they will run in a less than perfect condition for a loooooong time.

My two cents.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
How about a tent cot for $150? Toss that, a sleeping bag and some food in the bug and get out there.
I agree with everything except taking the bug. Traveling in the Summer in an air cooled VW (presumably with no AC - did they ever make a bug with AC?) wouldn't be my idea of fun. And yes, I've done it and no, it was not fun (driving from Southern AZ to North Carolina in late July of 1993 in a 1990 Montero with no AC. The 800 mile stretch across Texas was brutal. 4 windows down, 70 MPH and me wearing just shorts, no shirt or shoes, to try and stay comfortable. Couldn't even listen to the radio because of the wind noise.)
Honestly, if you're on a budget, get a decent ground tent and take the Passat. The cheapest vehicle is the one you already own.

10degnorth

I don't do a whole lot of off-roading, really none at all, so I think I am just gonna stick with what I have and put my budget towards restoring the bug a bit more, it's already in pretty good condition. Plus it's a pretty simple car and arts aren't ridiculously expensive. Now, any recommendations on what to do the the bug? Besides a RTT, once again just looking for ideas. Thanks everyone

nitro_rat

Lunchbox Lockers
http://bobhooversblog.blogspot.com

You can hunt through this for lots of good info on keeping bugs alive. Bob had a 67 Baja with the seats removed so a stretcher/cot would fit in the passenger side. He spent a lot of time solo in Baja. He usually took the bus though...

10degnorth

The vanagon on Craigslist sold now anyway, I talked to the RTT company here in Bend yesterday and they said they could hook me up with a used one for about $600-$800, so that could be pretty neat. Would it be worth the increase in safety to change out the stock brakes for disk brakes? It would cost about $400 by hand. Also does anyone have any ideas on mods that aren't too difficult to do to the bug? Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman