Compact & Conquest "awning"

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Dendy and I were throwing around ideas by the campfire and I finally got around to implementing one of them.
I cut a length of 1/2" emt to extend a little farther than the trailer body, drilled parallel holes at either end, and inserted telescoping poles through. A pair of bungee balls at the bottom to the frame keeps it in place.
Can be set high or low, bowed for aesthetics or taught for a drizzle. Dealer's choice... ...just the thing on a balmy night.

:ylsmoke:

It was also the first time using the trailer with the lp tanks aft; much much better.

100_3051-1.jpg

100_3054.jpg

100_3042.jpg

100_3142.jpg

And the cobbler was perfect... :drool:

100_3117.jpg

Great Idea!

I might have to work something like that out on mine. I carry a couple extra adjustable poles. They may work just fine.

Nice cobbler.:)

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
Hey Bill-
Great to see that implemented!
My first attempt at Dutch oven pineapple upside down cake resulted in a charcoal brickett!
We are still camping in Balsam, NC. Loved it so much, we stayed an extra night!
Pics tomorrow night on my thread!
Thanks
Dendy

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Hey Bill-
Great to see that implemented!
My first attempt at Dutch oven pineapple upside down cake resulted in a charcoal brickett!
We are still camping in Balsam, NC. Loved it so much, we stayed an extra night!
Pics tomorrow night on my thread!
Thanks
Dendy
Warm weather directions:
Prewarm the oven with some butter in it, about 5 briquettes below and 25 on top. In a few short minutes after the butter is melted, pick up the oven and spread butter to the sides, put in your cake batter, and place the oven back in the fire ring --- about 9 briquettes below and 16 above.
Every 10 minutes rotate the oven 1/4 turn left and the lid 1/4 turn right.
At about 2/3 of baking time, take the oven off the fire and allow it to cook for a few minutes with just top heat.
Mine took about 35 minutes to finish and was perfect (Chris' peach cobbler recipe). I also made biscuits that were amazing and Tom made a sausage/egg/tater casserole that brought tears to our eyes.

XJBANKER

Explorer
100_3054.jpg

Is there a reason that you have the pole stick out so far on each end. If it was closer to the material on each side could you leave it in there when the tent is packed away?

Also what about making it even with the material on both sides and drill your hole through the material if you could permanatly leave it there. Any downfalls with that idea?

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
100_3054.jpg

Is there a reason that you have the pole stick out so far on each end. If it was closer to the material on each side could you leave it in there when the tent is packed away?

Also what about making it even with the material on both sides and drill your hole through the material if you could permanatly leave it there. Any downfalls with that idea?
I wanted the poles to clear the box entirely.
I tossed around the idea of mounting pole-holders but, after farting around with it in actual practice, I saw that I'd want it deployed in too many angles for varying conditions to hard-mount them.
For storage, I slide the pole in from the rear hatch diagonally from left rear to right front along the top.

Dendy and I first thought of inserting grommets in the fabric and I tried that with temporary snap grommets; it drooped too much unless it was pulled tightly and then it was too much strain on the upper fabric.
I also ran a length of rope through it and tied it off on poles; again, too much droop.

XJBANKER

Explorer
What I am wondering about is keeping the pole in there permanantly. Do you think that it would be too much of an angle to still have it clear the kitchen? If the pipe goes to the end of the fabric on each end, would it be able to fit when put away?

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
What I am wondering about is keeping the pole in there permanantly. Do you think that it would be too much of an angle to still have it clear the kitchen? If the pipe goes to the end of the fabric on each end, would it be able to fit when put away?
Sure; that was my first plan. And stuff the poles in mounts just under the latches.
You can get pretty exotic about the entire thing if you want...

Go out in the yard this weekend, open up the tent, and mess around with it.
The trick is to imagine yourself actually using it in the various seasons and weather you'll be facing.
dry/cold/sunny/foggy/rainy/drippy/windy
On cold days, I want to prop it open during the day to help dry the condensation. On hot days, I want to promote air circulation. etc, etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior