Compact Flash ??

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
I know this question or similar is thrown around here alot but my searches have not answered my question, so...

I have a new Canon Rebel XTi 400D, 10.1 megapixel, capable of 3 frames per second up to a 27 fram burst.

I'm searching for a good Compact Flash card that will not get bound up when recording images.

Has any one heard of this ProMax by ATP - Costco has them $109 for a 4gb card. They are waterproof and very rugged.

149908.jpg

ATP 150X ProMax CF cards are next generation super high speed flash memory cards designed for high end SLR digital cameras as well as for your current and future multimedia devices.

Preferred for use by professional and high end amateur photographers, this high caliber performance is combined with ATP renowned reliability and weatherproof durability and is the choice of discriminating consumers everywhere. ATP ProMax CF cards are water resistant and are able to endure extreme temperatures ranging from –40° – 185°F. In addition, they are completely dust proof and ESD (electrostatic discharge) proof and are able to withstand a high level shock and vibration. This allows for high speed shooting in any harsh environment a photographer may encounter on the go.

ATP ProMax CF cards offer the perfect premium memory solution for any CF compatible devices.

Features:

Water resistant, dust proof, ESD proof and extreme temperature resistant
High data transfer rate: 22.5 MB/s Read, 18 MB/s Write
Endurance: 100,000 cycles (read/write and erase)
Compatible with all digital cameras, PDAs, and other devices featuring CF slots
50-pin connector
Storage temperature: -40° - 185°F
Dimensions: 1.43” x 1.68” x 0.13” (length x width x thickness)
Weight: 0.352 oz

jeffryscott

2006 Rally Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
The price is incredible, the only thing I would look for is the warranty?

We have had several CF cards crap out on us at the paper, but for the use they get it hasn't been too many, and mostly older 256 cards. With the lifetime warranty the Lexar professional (gold) cards have, they have all been replaced, no questions asked - but then again, a 256 card with current cameras is useless - it is like having a roll of film in the camera again.

But then again, Costco treats you right on things from my experience. For the price, I don't think I'd hesitate - just buy a bigger hard drive because you'll be using space up fast ...

TeleScooby

Adventurer
CF cards are by design dust and water resistant, I've read reviews where people put them through the wash in their pants pocket, then left them out to dry for 2 days or so, stuck them in the computer, and downloaded all the photos without a hitch...

That said, experience has taught me to stick with name brand memory, you're guaranteed better guaranteed service should the need arise at all...watch for sales and check out newegg.com for deals.

pwc

Explorer
I'd be hesitant. I don't like manufacturers that stretch the truth. this card is written as 150X when that is really just the read speed (a mostly useless stat for a mainly recording device). It's actually 118X for the write (1X is 152Mb/sec).

I've had great luck with the Transcend line of cards. I currently have a couple, including the 8GB which you may think is huge, but when shooting RAW+JPG you can get about 450 picures at ISO 100.

My wife used the card for a month in Nepal including 21 days on a trek where the camera was out the entire time. I've used it in cold and hot, dusty and humid and they work great.

Problem is, you kinda don't know until you try, but if you don't have any backup, I'd go with a name brand that has a good reputation. Cheap cards are cheap for a reason. I'm not saying prices shouldn't drop as there is more and more competition, but the name brand companies have a lot of process behind their product that makes them cost a little more. Process that helps ensure a consistently sound product.

_____
EDIT: One thing to note is since compact flash cards are solid state electronics, they will naturally be somewhat water proof unless rusting starts occuring. As mentioned, if you dry them out, they should work fine. It's kinda like saying a AA battery is water proof since you can dunk it, dry it and it'll still put out power.

Last edited:

Robthebrit

Explorer
Fry's has 8gb 130x CF cards for $99, 4gb cards are now $60, I paid $70 a month ago, the 130x cards keep up with my 5D easily.

If you don't have a fry's near you then make a trip to one. If you really need something I could go and get it for you guys/gals. I'll go tomorrow and make an actual price list.

They also have SD cards for roughly the same price.

Rob

JMyerz

Adventurer
Its all about the RiData CF. They've been around since the begining have a fantastic warranty and are super reliable. Not too mention their cheap and FAST.

4GB 150x $77

2GB 150x $39

These guys are great to deal with and carry RiData
http://www.mydigitaldiscount.com/

J

\\'anderer

Adventurer
I would give it a try, Costco has an excellent return policy. I had sandisk go bad after a year and Costco replaced it without any problems.

You could use it and return it if you did not like it for any reason. Costco would rather return your money and keep you as a customer.

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
pwc said:
I'd be hesitant. I don't like manufacturers that stretch the truth. this card is written as 150X when that is really just the read speed (a mostly useless stat for a mainly recording device). It's actually 118X for the write (1X is 152Mb/sec).

Almost all of the Memory card manufacturers are marketing thier products by expressing the Read speed,150x, because it is a higher faster and more impressive number. I don't think any of them are stretching the truth if it is standard practice for them all to advertise the same function speed.
It becomes confusing when one brand advertises a write speed and the other a read speed.

The ATP ProMax has a write speed of 18 mb/sec The Extreme III has a write speed of 20mp/sec and the Ultra II a write speed of 9mb/sec.

I think the key is figuring out how to compare them on the same level.

Edit - even more confusing and misleading is that cards such as the ProMax and the RiData both with read speads of 150x, and say 150x on the card, have different write speeds, PM is 18 mb/s and the RD is 15mb/s

JMyerz

Adventurer
I shoot a d2x and D200 (read 15mb+ RAW files) and the RiData 150x have kept up and been the fastest card so far. I tested a bunch. Your going to be limited by your camera anyway so if your camera can only write 9mb/s then a 20mb/s card isn't going to do much for you.

J

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
Here are some of the specs: - I'm sure I can use this info to determine how fast the camera can write to a card:

Recording System
Recording Format
JPEG, RAW, and RAW+JPEG simultaneous recording provided. The RAW and JPEG images are saved as separate files in the CF card.
Image Format
JPEG, RAW (Canon .CR2)
File Size
(1) Large/Fine: Approx. 3.8MB (3,888 x 2,592)
(2) Large/Normal: Approx. 2.0MB (3,888 x 2,592)
(3) Medium/Fine: Approx. 2.3MB (2,816 x 1,880)
(4) Medium/Normal: Approx. 1.2MB (2,816 x 1,880)
(5) Small/Fine: Approx. 1.3MB (1,936 x 1,288)
(6) Small/Normal: Approx. 0.7MB (1,936 x 1,288)
(7) RAW: Approx. 9.8MB (3,888 x 2,592)

Drive System
Drive Modes
Single, Continuous, Self-timer/Remote control
Continuous Shooting Speed
Approx. 3 fps (at shutter speed of 1/250 sec. or faster)
Max. Burst During Continuous Shooting
JPEG: approx. 27 frames (Large/Fine)
RAW: approx. 10 frames
RAW+JPEG: approx. 8 frames (Large/Fine)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior