Compressor change - differences in brand, type?

TMR

Hi All,

Have had stiff suspension for a while and have had on occasion found the car bum down (2007 LR3 V8). Thinking that it's time to change out the valve blocks and the compressor.

With that in mind, I understand the brands are Hitachi, Dunlop, and AMK. I know many people 'upgrade' to the AMK however it is a bit more involved with re-plumbing, a new bracket, and who knows what else. Is the AMK that much better for the headache? Another option is a Dunlop or even the 'HD Long life' compressor offered by Lucky8: https://www.lucky8llc.com/collections/air-suspension-components-3/products/hd-long-life-air-compressor. Is this just a rebranded Dunlop?

Also, I have an IID tool and so can reprogram the car if needed.

DiscoDavis

Explorer
Never heard of dunlop. Hitachi is fine, AMK is fine. You're right you will need to flash AMK to the ECU if going from Hitachi to AMK or vice versa.

A.J.M

Explorer
Late to this but my 2p on it.

I had a Hitachi on my 3, It got tired, would fault out etc and i bought off a Dealers ebay store, a new AMK, it came with the plumbing, new relay and the top and bottom covers, it was on the new bracket, i also got 3 new chassis mounting clips and 3 new bolts.

I went the AMK route as it allowed me to cut the intake and exhaust pipes as they had corroded in place and the collets, wouldn't budge.

AMK is pretty easy and straight forward, i followed a guide for what pipes went where, and what relay to change over. In total, it took me a couple of hours as i took my time as i was pretty nervous as i had effectively slit the suspensions throat with cutting the pipes so i had to finish it. Simply updated the software once done with my IID tool and then started the car and let it fill the system and raise back up to normal height in it's own time.

That was 2 years ago. I've not had any issues with it since, i've got a compressor protector guard that is designed for the AMK as it's a bit larger than the old Hitachi unit.

I know some will say to throw it all away and fit coils, but tbh, that's a bit drastic and i feel removes one of the best features of the car.
My car was build this 13 years ago this month. Bar the compressor, a front block and a front left height sensor, the rest of the system is original and has 166,593 miles on it and still works as it did on day one.

Late to this but my 2p on it.

I had a Hitachi on my 3, It got tired, would fault out etc and i bought off a Dealers ebay store, a new AMK, it came with the plumbing, new relay and the top and bottom covers, it was on the new bracket, i also got 3 new chassis mounting clips and 3 new bolts.

I went the AMK route as it allowed me to cut the intake and exhaust pipes as they had corroded in place and the collets, wouldn't budge.

AMK is pretty easy and straight forward, i followed a guide for what pipes went where, and what relay to change over. In total, it took me a couple of hours as i took my time as i was pretty nervous as i had effectively slit the suspensions throat with cutting the pipes so i had to finish it. Simply updated the software once done with my IID tool and then started the car and let it fill the system and raise back up to normal height in it's own time.

That was 2 years ago. I've not had any issues with it since, i've got a compressor protector guard that is designed for the AMK as it's a bit larger than the old Hitachi unit.

I know some will say to throw it all away and fit coils, but tbh, that's a bit drastic and i feel removes one of the best features of the car.
My car was build this 13 years ago this month. Bar the compressor, a front block and a front left height sensor, the rest of the system is original and has 166,593 miles on it and still works as it did on day one.

Alan,

I am finally getting the 17" wheels and rubber put on today. Put my V6 brake conversion on yesterday and all went well. I'll update pictures later today when I get home from the wheel shop.

A.J.M

Explorer
Excellent Eric!
looking forward to seeing it with them on.

Mine hasn't really changed for a while.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998