confusing solar panel choice

gtitonta

I am kind of confusing the which solar panel I should get. I am thinking about getting these solar panel and victron MPPT.

Question is that maximum power current shows 8.73amps which is max current in 37.80V ( I assume).
If I want to use this panel for 12v, it will be 27.5 amp (330W/12V) theoretically speaking. I know MPPT can handle that amp, but I am not sure if the panel will be burnt or not.....

I want to install residential solar panel like this my truck because I can get more power from solar panel. Am I supposed to make 24V or 48V system to use this panel??

Thanks for you help and sharing knowledge.

Joe917

Explorer
The panel will be fine, The issue will be making sure the wiring is large enough to handle the amperage. You will also need appropriate sized breakers. you can make a 12V or any voltage system you want.

gtitonta

Thanks for clearing up! So get thicker gauge of wires from control panel to battery then! thanks again. Appreciate it!

Joe917

Explorer
Fwiw,
Not saying anything wrong with that solarmodule shown.
Just be aware its a polycrystaline type which are less efficient than monocrystaline.
Meaning, a ’mono requires less surface area to capture equal energy.
Agreed,
The OP is definitely going the right route with a large high voltage panel and MPPT controller.
I would also consider Morningstar MPPT and if you have room for two panels put in a controller large enough to handle two panels.

jonyjoe101

Adventurer
unless the battery is very low or your charging 12.6 li-ion batteries, the most you will see is about 14 amps. On my 365 watt panel with mppt the most amps I see when charging my 14.6 volt 220ah lifepo4 is 12 amps but I usually keep the battery at over 80 percent. When charging my 12.6 volt li-ion battery bank I have seen 27 amps (the full 365+ watts) going into the battery.

Alloy

To be clear the amperage from the panel will be 8.73 Amps max. it is the output from the charge controller that will be higher.

8.73 is the max labratory test amps. In lower temps / higher altitude / reflection it's possible to exceed the number.

gtitonta

Thanks for good advice, everyone! The reason I chose this solar panel is that this panel is available pretty close from my house. That is the only reason! I prefer mono solar panel too!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears