Considering this 2004 LR Discovery 2...Thoughts?

Beater_Bimmer

Adventurer
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/cto/5907734631.html

He has good documentation about the engine/head repair after an overheat event after a coolant leak. I've test driven it and it's solid. I know it's a bit over priced and he's willing to come down a bit. Never owned a LR but always lusted after them. Nothing on this truck is broken.

Anything I should look for or you'd advise regarding this one specifically?

More pics here:

Pu11n2e.jpg

wG2eCNC.jpg

7F4ctaG.jpg

E5SHQYE.jpg

LtCIN83.jpg

kdnbdMU.jpg

mmbirtcher

Observer
I would definitely consider one with a rebuilt engine from a reputable experienced rover mechanic. My '04 overheated, warped the head, so we decked it, checked the block and it was still good. But I wish we had done the "top hat" cylinder sleeves. Seems to be the only permanent solution I've read about. A transferrable warranty from a LR shop close to home would make me feel more comfortable about it. They just don't seem to like the heat. That being said, I do miss it every day!

krick3tt

Adventurer
Definitely have that overheating issue checked out. PO overheated the one I bought and did not tell me. Cost was astronomical to have the heads redone on the 07 LR3.
The year not withstanding, an overheating issue is going to cost.

Longtallsally

Adventurer
Man I wouldn't give more than $5k for it if it had overheating issues. I'm really glad I ended up getting a 4.0 motor from everything I've read about all the issues with the 4.6. Personally I can't stand the black interior in the Disco, but that is very subjective.

I spoke with the head tech at a Great Basin Rovers today and he basically agreed that the 4.0 is more simple.

Other things to consider are that you WILL have issues with it. Not if, but when- no matter how sorted it seems now. If you pay $10k for it, are you capable to fix it yourself or wiling to spend a mint at a shop to get things sorted out? If you live in the City, I suspect it would be the latter and unless you have the funds, it seems a bit silly to me.

You probably saw my thread on my struggle to get a Disco to start with. I'm going into it knowing I'll be forever working on it. But they are as cool as you think- you just need a healthy dose of understanding what you are getting into.

Bottom line, I think it looks like a decent truck, but folks thinking they are worth that much are on doobage IMO. I saw a slew in my searching for Discos here recently for that money. No way. I'd buy an LR3 first.

matches130

Organizer
I owned a 2004 Range Rover HSE and loved the car, hated the repair bills. Even though it never left me stranded, I never felt secure driving it long distances, which I had to do frequently. I meticulously maintained it and it still would break. Moral of the story is, if you want to buy a used Land Rover, DON'T!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1b49236d1790354342624696f5cf17b4.jpg

Last edited:

Exploder
More power to him if he can get $10k for that. That's a $3500 truck. Maybe five since you folks in Cali are a little loopy. :sombrero:

Beater_Bimmer

Adventurer
Thanks for all the tips guys, it's funny how no one seems to like these vehicles and claim horrible reliability...

He did have the head of the motor re-done. See attached.

Last edited:

Longtallsally

Adventurer
Having it replaced and having it replaced correctly are 2 very different things. I don't see anything about sleeves there, so the statements on the truck's value stand I think.

They are really fun to drive and are apparently decent off road, so I wouldn't say folks hate them, they just hate having to fix stuff all the time.

99Discovery

Adventurer
Thanks for all the tips guys, it's funny how no one seems to like these vehicles and claim horrible reliability...

He did have the head of the motor re-done. See attached.

Reliability as everything to do with maintainability on a Discovery 2. Since they are old, how well they have been maintained is the question. $10k for a D2 that doesn't have at most 30k miles on it and the plastic covering the seats when it is was new is ridiculous. My 1999 with full records and 90k on the clock with 2" OME lift was $5500 almost 4 years ago AND I paid $1k over market value because I liked that the receipts showed Great Basin Rovers did the work.

After that you MUST do the following:

1) TD5 thermostat, which is 180F, it lowers temps and reduces the chance of a slipped liner/overheat. (that's minimal generally you are looking at an entire cooling rebuild) $50-600 depending on extend of cooling system refresh.

2) Servicable driveshaft ($350 or take yours to a reputable rebuild shop). Don't forget a servicable centering ball. The heat from the CATs dries out the sealed grease in the U-joints and anywhere between 100k and 150k miles the driveshaft siezes and blows up....usually punching a huge hole in your transmission... So now you have to grease this driveshaft every 3k miles with high-temp grease. Easy, but it MUST be done.

3) OBD2 reader such as a scanguage or ultraguage. Why? Because the stock D2 temp. guage only moves off of middle after you are in the DANGER ZONE and pretty much already hosed for a head-gasket failure. Read the temps in realtime. Usually below 205 is good. I'm around 200F in 4-lo in Moab crawling in ambient temps in the triple digits. Usually I'm around 188-194. Much better than the 220F it registered BEFORE the TD5 thermostat mod.....no wonder the PO spent $2k on a head gasket/head refurb. job.

After that there are little things such as checking the rotoflex and change as neccessary, making sure you use a flat-tappet friendly oil such as Rotella Synthetic 5w40, and you are good to go.

I've put 20k hard miles on my disco 2 and it has been by far the most reliable 4wd I've owned *knock on wood*. But even then, I'm waiting for the inevitable day I slip a liner. Oh well, there are so many awesome 4wds in the world, I'll just move on to the next project at that point.

There are MANY people around that have Disco 2s and especially 1s with at or well over 200k miles.

But please don't pay $10k for one.. :)

DiscoIIGuy

I hope you read this in time. I made my account just to respond to you.

Please consider the following:

1.) If the seller of this disco is not running a scan gauge displaying engine temps at all times, especially after an overheat, it is a huge huge huge red flag (you will need to buy one)
2.) If the seller of this disco does not own and is not giving you with the purchase of this vehicle an OBDII code reader specifically for Land Rover it is a red flag (you will need to buy one)
3.) If the heads were not fly cut when HG's changed it is a red flag
4.) If Dex-cool was placed in the cooling system after the HG job it is a red flag
5.) If the coils, wires, and plugs were not replaced w/the HG replacement it is a red flag
6.) If the Fan clutch has not been changed and fan switched to an 01 style fan it is a red flag
7.) If all of the cooling system hosing has not been changed it is a red flag
8.) If the radiator is original it is a red flag and will need to be replaced
9.) If the thermostat has not been switched to a 180 deg. soft spring it is a red flag
10.) If the expansion tank, cap, and bleed screw have not all been replaced it is a yellow flag
11.) Take a hose and run it on the sunroofs for 5 minutes if they leak well obviously a red flag
12.) If the steering bars have not been replaced and or upgraded it is a yellow flag
13.) If the rocker arms lifters and push rods were not replaced while HG's were done it is a yellow flag
14.) You need to know what HG kit was placed on the vehicle - also what bolts were used -- if seller doesn't know, personally that would be a red flag.
15.) If the front drive shaft has not been replaced with one that can be serviced, huge red flag will need to be done ASAP
16.) If the seller does not have spare parts and a lot of them to include with the purchase of the vehicle, big red flag -

*Go to an auto parts store rent a pressure tester pump the cooling system with 17-18 pounds wait 20 min and see if it leaks --- if seller wont let you do this, red flag*

Make no mistake if all of these repairs have not been done, plus some, they are all in your near future -

My rover was my mechanic's personal vehicle, he had his *** in that truck and I still had to do all of the above PLUS. To give you an idea on market price; my rover was European mechanic owned, great condition 70,000MI on an 04 engine placed in the truck by him purchased in July of 2016 and came with the extra original 03' engine.

I paid $6,250. Knowing what I now know, I overpaid.

Hope this helps

*I also want to say you have gotten some really good replies on here. Many LR sellers probably have their ASSES in their truck in repair bills b/c they did not do the work themselves for whatever reason. You must assume extraordinary repair bills, if you are not doing the work yourself will CONTINUE. You cannot afford to "pay them back" for the repairs done more than .10 cents on the dollar and also get a good shake on your end (with some exceptions of course) --- FURTHER IF THIS IS NOT A TOP HATTED ENGINE CATASTROPHIC FAILURE IS IMMINENT, IT PLAIN AND SIMPLE JUST WILL HAPPEN. Be prepared to loose your entire investment or buy a tophatted shortblock--- my .02cents, probably going to get some spirited responses from this*

With all of that said make him and offer and love your new Disco, despite everything I really love mine :wings:

Last edited:

Longtallsally

Adventurer
No, you won't get a spirited response. You'll get a thanks for the reality check confirmation.

Bottom line, what he said. I knew what I was getting into. It's a 4th car. I fully expect it to down for good periods of time during my ownership.

TyScot

I'll chime in I guess. I drive a 04 Disco, it's my main driver but I do toss in my 56 VW on weekends usually. I have 158,xxx on it and climbing, I check fluid levels regularly and maintain it. I do run a Ultra-gauge to keep an eye on things. Honestly, it's a great vehicle, I don't drive it hard but I don't baby it either. Do I trust it enough to hop in it right now and drive to SF where you are ( I'm in Oregon ), hell yeah. I think the 04's are probably the best year you can get, look around, research them, parts costs on general things, ect ect. I think that one you listed looks like a very nice truck but I agree with other's that 10K is high, but I have noticed that west coast one's seem to run a bit higher. I think it's funny that so many people on the LR forums will tell you that there unreliable and will suck your wallet dry, yet, they still own and drive one, hmmm. Good luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman