Conversion Van Solar/Alternator/Shore Power Electrical Design Help & Advice

Hippy420

Hello all, I am a recent lurker/sporadic visitor ever since I decided to green light my conversion project. I am currently in the process of designing a solar/alternator setup for my 1994 Dodge Ram Van B250. I have a few questions on the possibilities & am looking for recommendations as to which products to use for my needs (or, **my apologies in advance** if I need a link to another similar thread, I’ve read through a few & not found what I need exactly). I am still somewhat new to solar systems & dc setups, but not a noob to electrical.

The only electrical power currently (to the lights, stereo, etc) is the standard 12v ignition battery in the engine compartment. On my build sheet it says I was given a 120 amp alternator.

What I’d like to do is this:
Install 4x 12v (21.4-22.5v max) 100w solar panels wired in series running down to a 40amp 12v (100v max) MPPT charge controller which will feed 2x 100 Ah 12v AGM house batteries (may add another in the future). Intending on using the dc side for led lights on a 12v dimmer switch, roof vent fan, small water pump... Also intending on picking up a pure sine wave inverter (~1000-2000w recommendations?) off those batteries to power new AC outlets (mini fridge all day cycle, occasionally small led Tv, Xbox, laptop, a small guitar amp).

* the only part of this I have currently is 1x100w solar panel, hoping to confirm before I order everything I need

I would ALSO like, but don’t know how, to (yet):
1. Charge these new house batteries off the alternator while the vehicle is running (is this feasible/worth it?)
2. Inversely share the charge from the solar panels to the ignition battery (while the vehicle is not running) so I can run the stereo without fear of draining the battery (is this possible? Or should I run new power to stereo from aux house batteries?)
3. Have the option for a shore power hookup that would SAFELY bypass the use of the house batteries for a direct power connection (my guess is this is only possible on the ac side through a fancy inverter or a sort of intelligent distribution center?)

Any help/advice/links to diagrams or other threads would be greatly appreciated!

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
I have learned that if you have the roof space a 65x39in residential solar panel is the cheapest price per watt you can get.
315 watts for $205 for example

I have done this on 2 rigs and love the power I get going into my Victron Smartsolar controllers. You will really like the bluetooth and history tracking Victron gives you.
I went from 2 group 31 AGM's on my previous build to a 170ah lithium battery and I love the weight reduction and extra power. Not to mention it is way more useful as I can charge it quicker and use more battery than I could with AGM's , oh and in less space.

I did all Victron products and have been super happy with the install and performance.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Mini fridges are notoriously inefficient. I'd run the numbers carefully on that. 400w of solar and 200ah of battery might not be enough.

Instead of an inverter, get an inverter/charger. That will handle incoming shore power when available and also top up the batteries as well.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
As for charging house batt from alternator and engine batt from house - BlueSea or Samlex ACR. Both are dual sensing and will charge house batt from alt when the engine is running, or charge engine batt from solar with engine off. Automatically.

(NOT for use if house batt is lithium.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior