Converter question

xtremexj

Adventurer
Just looking for advice really. My ELX25 converter fried itself in Flagstaff last year after we left the Expo and I haven't replaced it yet. I talked to Palomino and they are now using the WFCO converters. Has anyone had any experience with the WF8725P converter? It doesn't sound like it's terribly difficult to change over and it supposedly has a quieter fan than the Elixir as well as a 3-stage battery charging circuit. Thoughts?

Last edited:

pods8

Explorer
I was looking at one of those for my build but its only 4 DC distribution slots I believe, will that work in your camper? I think I'm going to go with a progressive dynamics PD4045 which has a dozen DC size slots. However it's not the same size if you're looking to replace something in the existing slot.

xtremexj

Adventurer
Hey pods8 - yes this is to replace an existing ELX25 in my Bronco 800. The Elixir has the same amount of slots so it will pretty much be a direct swap.

Last edited:

Pest

Adventurer
I'm not sure of the exact model number I have, but I think it's the same model you're getting. The converter in our Phoenix died mid-remodel, Rob at Coyote RV gave us a new WFCO under warranty, no questions. It has been working perfectly for the last couple years. I've never even heard the fan turn on.

Also, to alleviate the problem of too few circuits, I wired in a few bus bars to split the circuits, being careful to not combine heavy loads on one circuit.

xtremexj

Adventurer
Thanks for chiming in Pest. I would be super excited if the fan turned on as little as you say. :D My Elixir would run the fan every 5-10mins which used to wake me up in the middle of the night. Hopefully I have as good of luck as you do.

pods8

Explorer
Thanks for chiming in Pest. I would be super excited if the fan turned on as little as you say. :D My Elixir would run the fan every 5-10mins which used to wake me up in the middle of the night. Hopefully I have as good of luck as you do.

I won't think the fan would be on a lot unless you had heavy DC loads (or the unit was poorly designed since if current isn't really flowing why would heat be generated?), what did you have pulling loads all night?

xtremexj

Adventurer
I won't think the fan would be on a lot unless you had heavy DC loads (or the unit was poorly designed since if current isn't really flowing why would heat be generated?), what did you have pulling loads all night?

That's the weird thing - nothing drawing load except the fridge. When I went to the dual 6-volts batteries I would unplug them when hooked to shore power so I didn't overload the charging circuit. I may have just had a weak converter to start with.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior