Cost of equipment: then and now (CB, Ham, etc.) what did you pay?

workingonit71

Aspirantes ad Adventure
I was posting (in tablets, GPS) info on a tablet mount that I hobbled together, including pics of my CB mount, when I was trying to remember how I started out with radio back in 1975. Also, on another forum (TnTTT), I was relating my desire to get into Ham radio, at long last, after thinking about it since the '70's. Back then, I remember CB radio as the way to go, unless you were an EE graduate, electronics nerd, or just had lots of time and money to spend. Sorta like being into "Stereophonic Hi-Fidelity" in the mid-50's (my Dad had a friend who converted his garage into a stereo test lab). Anyway, I remembered my previous CB set-up, from 1975, where I had to out-do my best friend, and bought a $200 (then) Cobra 29, a slide-out mount under-dash, an external speaker, and two external speakers (one in each front wheel well). Twin antennae (at first), but ended up with a 102" steel whip on my bumper (after I had replaced the others twice). I don't remember what brands and prices I paid for all the peripheral gear, but I made the salesguy happy. I must've spent well over $350 in all. In 1975 dollars (about $1600 today). And on a 1973 VW Superbeetle, yet!, (I paid about $1900 dollars for it,new). Now, I spent about $100 for my CB install two years ago, and have been hesitating to get into Ham for years, because of costs. I haven't taken the exam yet, but recently sent off for a cheap Baofeng UV-5X, because it was the best deal I could find. But, when I think of what I spent in the '70's compared to what I am willing to spend now...it just goes to prove that money is an object to a old married man! It also proves what a comparative value radios are today. I know I should've bought USA made, but is anything now 100% made here? Especially electronics. Any old Ham's out there who bought equipment back then? Stories, please!

wirenut

Adventurer
My first 2 meter hand held radio (a Yaesu FT-411E) I bought in 1992. I think it was around $250. My first 2 meter mobile rig (a Kenwood TM-241A) I bought new in 1993. I paid $300 for it and everyone told me what a great deal I got on it. Right now you can get a new Yaesu dual band hand held new for about $150 and a mobile rig for a similar price. I've actually kind of gotten over buying new radios. There are so many great used one on Ebay and at hamfests. Over the last 3 years I've purchased 4 dual band (2 meters and 70 centimeters) mobile radios on ebay and everyone of them worked just fine. I've also purchased 5 70cm hand held radios on Ebay over the same period. All worked fine initially, 1 has failed since. I also purchased a used dual band hand held at a ham fest, again, it worked fine.
The handhelds I was getting on Ebay for between $20 and $40 dollars each. The mobiles were around $175 to maybe $225; so roughly half the cost of a new one.

workingonit71

Aspirantes ad Adventure
just getting started; see if I fit the profile; then jump in!

... I've actually kind of gotten over buying new radios. There are so many great used one on Ebay and at hamfests. Over the last 3 years I've purchased 4 dual band (2 meters and 70 centimeters) mobile radios on ebay and everyone of them worked just fine...
wirenut- You say you've had good luck with used E-bay radios; how about the used ones from the hamfests? I've never bought electronics off of E-bay, but the few purchases I've made were OK (dragracing parts, but mostly new-in-box), but you never know what you're getting until you have it in hand. I usually like to inspect in person, but I've been buying stuff lately from Amazon, and they make good what their vendors sell, so I feel safe buying there. I could risk E-bay, with PayPal guarantees (limited?). Concerning hamfests... I don't know enough yet to engage in bartering with knowledgeable Hams. Sort of like getting my feet wet at automotive swap meets...I was buying and selling stuff before I really knew what the used parts (mine and theirs) was really worth; I bought high and sold low-not good! However, I would like to see what is out there, but I know my habits too well... I have a tendency to go all-in, before, long before, I am ready. So, I did not attend a local Hamfest last weekend, lest I get in deep too fast. I plan to study the lingo, the hand-held I just bought (new, cheap, from Amazon), study for the Tech license, all before even talking to any Hams in person. I don't want to be the consummate noob! At least when I was into racing, though unfamiliar with the specialty parts and tricks of the trade, I had always been into cars, raced before, and formally trained (long before). I hope that, at my age (retired geezer), I can fit in with the community OK; my only previous contact (just now passed on) with amateur radio was a decade older than me, and didn't mind my uninformed questions-that's why I'm gonna try Ham. I haven't even said anything to my wife...she's still not over my racing days (I still have my car in the garage, an extra engine, parts everywhere). All-in, or all-out!

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I'm a dyed-in-the-wool cheapskate so unless I absolutely know that there is value in buying new, I tend to go used. HAM enthusiasts, like other types of enthusiasts, often buy stuff on impulse and then hardly use it until they get around to selling it at fire sale prices so they can buy another toy (and I'm guilty of that as well in other hobbies!)

Currently I have two radios, a Kenwood TM-241a with a partially defective microphone (the mike itself works fine but some of the keypad functions don't) that I paid I think $25 for and a fully functional dual band Yaesu FT-50 that I paid $75 for. Both were found on Craigslist. In addition to that I've probably got ~$125 invested in several different antennae (I tried a glass mount on my old 4runner and I have a couple of mag mounts too.)

wirenut

Adventurer
I've bought a few radios at hamfests. Mostly I go there to buy parts, cable, adapters, etc. If I'm looking at a handheld radio I'd like to be able to try it out. If the battery isn't charged and they don't have a charger I might steer clear. Mobile rigs are a bit harder. Sometimes you can find a guy with a power supply at the table that will let you try a radio. Sometimes not. I've known some other hams to get a sellers name, number, business card, etc. when buying. I figure if he's willing to give that out he's probably not trying to pull anything over on you.
I'd go look around and talk to some people. Get a feel for what's going on. It's really just like a big flea market for ham radio stuff. Bargaining is bargaining. Usually the later in the day the lower the price. I think I've bought 2 used ham HTs and a marine HT at hamfests. All 3 worked. Also some stereo amplifiers and other gear. I don't remember getting shafted on anything. Maybe I'm just lucky.

Tennmogger

Explorer
Workingonit71, what a nice idea for a thread! I have thought your thoughts too, what a bargain we have today. I bought a used Hallicrafters CB in the early 60's, a model CB-3, I think. Paid something like $60 for it. That was a lot of money then. My first real ham radio was a Hallicrafters SX-111 receiver for which I paid $125. Considering that I was making about a buck an hour, that's a lot of hours! Thought my dad would disown me.

Even an early Yaesu 2 meter radio, CPU-2500, that I bought new for $525 was tremendously more expensive than today.

Bob WB4ETT

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
My first radio was a Lafayette CB tube kit that I got for Christmas in 1973 ---- don't know the cost but I upgraded the tubes with my allowance money and had it cranking out 15 watts. We had two antennas on the house, a tall omnidirectional and a horizontal beam. With my Lafayette plus-3 desk mic and the beam pointed correctly, I could skip down to Florida from NJ on a good day. Fun for a 10 year old.
My brother scored a SSB and a 75 watt seat-burner and we were talking around the world.

Dad was given a big old HF receiver that we hooked up too. We could listen around the world with it.

FF to now. I've got a $100 Wouxun HT and a $160 Kenwood 2M in the Jeep along with a Midland CB that ran me about $50. The Midland replaced a couple of Cobra CBs that always seemed to die.

workingonit71

Aspirantes ad Adventure
old radios I never owned (as a kid)

...Dad was given a big old HF receiver that we hooked up too. We could listen around the world with it.
I forgot to mention what got me interested in Amateur Radio in the first place. Long story: As a boy, I lived down the street from my maternal grandparents. Their home was the perfect place for me (and my younger brothers) to be dumped by my parents when they would go out for the evening. That went on until I was 13, and refused to be babysat any longer. But, my grandparents always regaled me on the old days, and introduced me to radio programs as well as TV. They had two giant old console radios, from the 1930s I think, in their house, a Zenith and a Philco. One (Zenith) was in the guest bedroom, next to the bed, so I could listen to programs until I fell asleep. Sometimes, I would listen to shortwave or longwave ? or whatever on it (it had 4 or 5 bands), as well. I think my Grandad had an antenna in the attic, so it received from all over. 'The other radio was in the dining room, and only had three bands, and wasn't to be used except at dinnertime. This was from about 1954 (I was 4) until I was getting to prefer TV westerns at 9-10 years. I would still like the radio for comedy and sci-fi, and listening to foreign radio. About that time, my Dad moved us next door (a bigger house, now even closer to my grandparents), and we got the Zenith radio console from my grandparents. I kept listening to it, now at home, 'til my Mother got rid of it for big TV console, with stereo and all that. No multi-band now. Also, during our move next door, we uncovered an old (grey or green pebblegrain or parkerized) radio in a metal case, in our attic. It was a war surplus radio my dad acquired after the war, and never used (I didn't even know about it). It had a huge dial, several knobs and switches, and a microphone and a headset to go with it. I wanted to try it, but Dad said it wouldn't work on our house current. He said he trained as a radio operator (USN, at Great Lakes) during the war, and wanted to keep it up, but never did, and never fixed the radio. Eventually, he gave it to the Stereo nut across the street. If it had worked, I'd be an Elmer by now. Then, the sixties happened, and I never knew anyone with a SW or Ham until fairly recently. But I still love listening to Old Time Radio programs at night (I have hundreds on a MP3). I sure wish I still had any of the radios I mentioned.

Last edited:

WSS

Rock Stacker
I got my ticket back in '95, but my Grandfather had been dumping cash into gear way before me. I still have my second radio, a Standard tri-band C5900-DA(6m, 2m and 440) it is a tank. I paid $600-ish back then. I just bought a Yaesu FTM-400DXR for less than that, it does way more than the Standard and is much better looking. I think gear is down. I have 2 VX5R from the day, weren't those $500ea back then, now the TOL HT from yaesu is what, $400?

The baofengs are "ok" radios but are not the mil-spec duty and quality of a Yaesu. I have at least 6 of the uvx5 type radios. I have two in each vehicles GHB and a few just to have. My son has one hard wired in his RZR 170 with a ext antenna and a helmet rig. works great even in the dust and harsh environment. My daily use HT is still an old VX5R.

michaelclark

Ham radio equipment typically costs between $25 to $10000. However, the features and kinds of equipment can have a significant impact on these prices, which vary widely. They can be influenced by ham radios at all price points, including entry-level, mid-range, high-end, and used.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior