Cost to paint a camper shell?

Falkon

Adventurer
I found a camper shell on CL that I like, but it is not the right color. Has anyone had one painted or otherwise know an estimate of the cost to have it color matched to my truck?

Thanks.

SilverBullet

Explorer
Yup, done it 3 times. Macco is usually less than $450, good paiters are $500-$600, and my most current one had fiberglass repair and paint cost me $700.

If you get the shell cheap enough, well worth it. My shell cost new $2500 with the options I found, I am in less than $1000 with paint.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
It cost me about $70 worth of materials, and a few evenings worth of time to do mine.

Even if you don't want to do the actual painting yourself, you can save a fair amount of $$$ by doing all but the final prep (any decent paint shop will insist on doing the final cleaning & prep themselves).

If you've got the space & desire - laying paint with an HVLP paint gun is pretty simple (hell, I figured it out - so it can't be that difficult).

Truefire

Truefire
You could paint the shell with a good quality, marine grade paint such as Pettit EasyPoxy. You can very easily roll it to obtain an 'orange peel' surface or it can be cut with mineral spirits and sprayed. very good paint and extremely resilient and durable after cured. Costs approximately $92 gallon.

It is a good paint though, a couple of quarts would probably suffice for your project however. Of course would be cheaper as well. I have used it many times and have been extremely pleased with its ease of application via both roller applications and via air sprayers. Plus, it is as mentioned before a durable paint and cleans up nice. The best rollers to use are of the thin nap type, preferably ones sold by the paint distributors that carry these paints. Of course, there really are no rollers that I am aware of that will last the entire duration of a project before the adhesive on the roll itself is solvated by the ingredients of these paints....roll the roller across several lines of inverted masking tape to remove loose fibers prior to immersing roller into paint pan

then you should end up with a good 'orange peel' surface free of contaminants such as loose fibers....;)

chris

Last edited:

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Prep and paint it your self.
Find a place to mix the paint " ready to shoot "

I paint all my toys in the back yard with a HF HVLP spray gun. Works well and looks good.

Attachments

• DSC05042.JPG
    DSC05042.JPG
    60.7 KB · Views: 59
  • DSC05045.JPG
    DSC05045.JPG
    71.7 KB · Views: 46

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman