Cotton = The Devil?

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
I'm over cotton.

In the last few years the military started to field the "under armor" type skivvie shirts - once I wore these in the heat I was sold. They just feel so much more comfortable in the heat and are cooler to wear.

When we were in Hawaii/Guam/Malaysia/Maldives/Oman in the heat and humidity the difference between cotton tees and the "performance fabrics" was night and day. Some of them also have an SPF rating which can be a big deal too IMO as I've seen Marines get sunburned through cotton skivvie shirts.

As a result of my experience, I wear performance fabrics whenever possible now if I'm doing anything physical outdoors like running, biking, etc. No more bloody nipples from the chafing effect of cotton ;)

Mr. D

Adventurer
I also like performance fabrics, I just checked my bicycling shirts the label states
antimicrobial, moisture wicking....

Last edited:

o0synge0o

Adventurer
I dig Under Armour, however I have grown to like Merino more. I have been wearing mostly the stuff from Icebreaker, and definitely dig it!

As well, here are three entries that provide reading material on some various sock brands on Gear Scout

spressomon

Expedition Leader
Tried a pair of Ibex merino boxers on a 5-day backpack trip last month and then again in Alaska last week underneath my fishing waders: Permanently on my list of necessities now :).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior