Couple of questions about Monteros.

edwardmatt83

I've been looking at getting a LC for a long time, but I don't think I can justify the cost. How does the Montero compare? I'm looking for a car that can seat 6+ and has decent off road ability. I found one in my local classifieds. 1998, 121k miles, 3.5L engine, $3500 asking price. Looks to be in good shape.

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
Very similar rigs, Toyota liked the Montero so much they copied a lot of it's features onto the 100 series much like they did with the Hilux to compete with the Mighty Max. The Montero is a very solid rig, the biggest problem is that they didn't hold their value so they tend to be very neglected or maintained with cheap parts leading to reliability issues.

POWER
V6 LC = 3.5 V6 Montero Similar power but both are slugs, the LC has more torque but the Montero has more gear to make up
V8 LV > 3.5 V6 Montero The Toyota 2UZ is a very nice motor, plenty of power. Very thirsty

Drivetrain
Transmissions are both made by Aisin and very reliable, also these have interchangeable parts incase you want to put that Toyota V8 in your Montero
Axles are pretty stout on both, rears are 30 and 32 spline for the LC and 31 and 33 spline for the Montero rear.
Front Axles are 30 spline with 86mm and 89mm joints on the LC and the Montero's are 28 spline 95mm and 100mm. Both made by NTN
Hubs are nearly identical minus some depth and spline differences to match the front axles. Made by Aisin.

Montero is cheaper in nearly all realms, but hard to get a properly maintained rig.
LC is more expensive but can be bought in great condition, mechanics know how to work on them.

Pick your poison

RyanY

Adventurer
The 98 you're looking at is known as a Gen 2.5 Montero and has the 3.5 SOHC engine with 4.2 axle gears. Some had the air locking rear differential (there will be a console switch to operate it) which dramatically increases the off-road capabilities.

Determining the maintenance history is fairly important, as the timing belt service can be fairly involved and somewhat expensive if you have to pay someone to do it for you. There are a number of typical Montero issues that you should be looking for as well - oil smoke from the tailpipe after idling indicates worn valve stem seals, ticking from the top end of the engine is usually stuck or failed valve lash adjusters, and slop in the steering is most commonly due to a worn idler arm, although other worn components can cause the same issue. The crankshaft bolt should have been replaced with an updated part from Mitsubishi at some point, or it will need to be done soon. More info on all of these issues can be found with some searching here or on 4x4Wire.com.

offthepath

Adventurer
I was in the same boat. Really wanted a LC 100, but the more I thought about it $15-20k for a vehicle was too much for our family to spend. I went the route of a gen 3, so I gave up a little off road ability vs a 2.5, but I feel I got a really good rig for less than 2-3x the cost of a comparable 100 LC. Decent off road and a good family vehicle for the wife to drive as a DD.

The only down side is the engine. Granted I have a 3.8l, but another 30hp sure would not hurt anyone........The engine is "adaquite" but in the rocky mountains a few more HP would be nice.

I did the timing belt and it sucked, one of the worst routine maintenance jobs I have ever done on a vehicle, but other then that they seem like any other vehicle maintenance wise. I don't think you can go wrong with a Montero. Really good value for what your get compared to other Japanese cars.

BEG

Adventurer
I've had two gen 2.5s and currently have an LX470.

Things I like about the Montero over the LC/LX:

- Super Select t-case with 2WD and manual operation (100 series is full-time only w/ push button CDL)
- Ability to put manual hubs on it
- Rear mounted spare w/ swing out door
- Thin but useful factory metal skid plates (100 series has a plastic "splash guard")
- Easier to find models equipped with factory rear air lockers
- Giant sunroof
- Lower curb weight
- Better looking (my opinion)
- Price (my '98 Winter Package cost me $900)

Things I like about the LX over the Montero:

- More interior room (I can fit three car seats in the second row, the main reason for my switch)
- 2UZ-FE engine. The V8 power is very noticeable and the engine is much easier to work on (6G74 timing belt, anyone?). Also much more common so more mechanics know it.
- Reasonable service intervals (eg: Montero timing belt MUST be done every 60k. LC timing belt is suggested every 90k and can go to 120k)
- Way better interior layout and material quality (LX-specific)
- Active Height Control (LX-specific). Not everyone likes it but I think it's a great and robust system, if kept in working order. Yields a much better ride than the Montero.
- ATRAC traction control system is great (not available on factory rear locked versions)(Gen 3 Montero traction control is phenomenal, though)
- Higher GVWR
- Huge aftermarket support in the US compared to Montero (the second reason for switching). Unless it's to remain relatively stock, the Montero is for someone with the time and skills to create their own solutions (or enough money to import all the goodies from Oz)

Overall, I'd say both platforms are comparable as far as capability. For me, the LX won out for on-road comfort, interior room, aftermarket support and overall refinement. If I'm being honest, I think if I had an LC the comparison would be much closer and I'd miss the Montero more than I do.

1morebike

Adventurer
I had 97 land cruiser then went to gen 1 Montero and just got a gen 3 Montero. I looked and looked for 100 series Land cruiser but they are sooo over priced. I paid $6000 for a 2003 Montero with a excellent history it's got 140,000 on and seems great. I like this more then my 80 series Land cruiser but that's an 80 series. Anyway you look at they are all older trucks and most likely you are buying someones problem. I will say this. The ih8mud forum is an awesome place they will help you in so many ways. The Montero forums are good and everyone is super great but I think that there are just less monteros out there and less guys driving and working on them

Toasty

Good points BEG, I have similar experience and i'll follow your lead here.

I had a GX470/120 Series
What I liked about the GX over the Gen 3 Montero:
-Seats
-Stereo
-Integrated Nav
-2UZ VVT-i
-Newness and dealer service record for every 5k miles of it's life

Disliked:
- Height control
- Kinetic Dynamic Suspension System
- Flimsy doors, liked the rear swing out door (for canoe carrying clearance) but it's not strong enough to support a tire.
- Dash broke for no reason (it's a recall though)
- Price
- Price of available aftermarket
- the fact that aftermarket is required to go wheeling
- front springs gave up 2nd time on the trail
- lighter duty IFS (this was the icing on the cake for me 5k worth of Icon parts to reliably run 33's maybe

My wife liked our Lexus (J120) better than the Gen 3, her opinion was based on how much power it had (mine had the 270hp motor) and it's fanciness. If I had things to do over again I would have bought her the 120 and took over her V6 Outlander. Eventually i'll probably buy a GX460 and keep to the forest roads and light duty offroad stuff.

Toasty

The 100 and 200 Series trucks are far better than the 120 and 150 Series as far as stoutness go, better bet to go with those if you go with a Toyota and have the $$$$$$.

RyanY

Adventurer
- Reasonable service intervals (eg: Montero timing belt MUST be done every 60k. LC timing belt is suggested every 90k and can go to 120k)

A timing belt is a timing belt is a timing belt. Manufacturers' recommendations change for various and seemingly random reasons. I've seen vehicles with 60k mile change intervals in 49 states that had a 100k mile change interval in California. No difference in engine or timing belt. I'm pretty certain that a timing belt for a LC will wear out at the same rate as one for a Montero. Change them at whatever rate makes you comfortable.

Toasty

A timing belt is a timing belt is a timing belt. Manufacturers' recommendations change for various and seemingly random reasons. I've seen vehicles with 60k mile change intervals in 49 states that had a 100k mile change interval in California. No difference in engine or timing belt. I'm pretty certain that a timing belt for a LC will wear out at the same rate as one for a Montero. Change them at whatever rate makes you comfortable.

Very true statement, I'd like to ad that both manufacturers use the same OEM belts (MITSUB⊙SHI) and tensioners (NTN) with the exception of the later USDM (Mitsubishi after sales) contracted Mitsubishi belts which I think are Gates/Mitsubishi or something to that effect. The problem with the Montero is more of a cheap truck gets cheap parts thing than these things are maintenance intensive. The Toyotas I've owned have been meticulously maintained by previous owners while almost every Montero or Mitsubishi I've owned has been run ragged for the last 100-200k miles. I've bought Monteros with 150k miles and found the timing to be all original and never even had the covers removed so they can go beyond their service intervals just as well. Honestly the trucks that have been neglected for 15 years but are all original are far better than those maintained improperly.
The worst thing is buying a truck that the previous owner "just did the timing job" because that basically means you have to do it over again (or at least check it).

BEG

Adventurer

I certainly can't argue against this. But if future resale is a factor, it's hard to explain to a prospective buyer why you only have records for t-belts every 120k when the FSM calls for them every 60k. I think, more than anything, I harbor some resentment toward the 6G74 engine since it's the only timing belt job I've ever botched because of the complicated timing belt tensioner install procedure which grenaded one of the heads.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12