CR25, New River Gorge and GWNF near Covington Va

jim65wagon

Beth and I took the kids to meet their Grandma in Kentucky over the weekend. We left Saturday after work around 1pm, spent Saturday night in the Greenbrier State Forest campground. Due to lack of time we've camp exclusively in campgrounds this year. Big mistake; for the fourth time in four different places, my wife has snuck up on loud talkers late at night, shined a flashlight in their faces and in a quite authoritative voice says "It's quiet hours in the park it's time for you to be quiet" Although everyone has complied it is still irritating to early risers, we're vowing to try not to stay at campgrounds now if at all possible. We met my Mom at Carter Caves in Kentucky on Sunday, dropped off the kids for a week and it was raining so hard Beth and I decided to drive back to Beckley WVa and hotel it and get an early start exploring on Monday morning. Bright and early we're out on County Road 25 touring the countryside, drove through some nice sections of the Manongahela NF and GWNF, found some new campsites and saw some interesting things. We put 250 miles on the truck on just forest roads, unbeaten paths and one-lane layover roads. Fun weekend...

Last edited:

jim65wagon

more pics CR25, MNF and GWNF

Attachments

• camp at greenbrier.jpg
    camp at greenbrier.jpg
    292.2 KB · Views: 3
  • county road 25.jpg
    county road 25.jpg
    421.8 KB · Views: 4
  • I wanna be over there!.jpg
    I wanna be over there!.jpg
    285.2 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

jim65wagon

more pics

Attachments

• over there.jpg
    over there.jpg
    287.1 KB · Views: 2
  • on top of Hopkins Mtn.jpg
    on top of Hopkins Mtn.jpg
    376.4 KB · Views: 2
  • no time to check this one out.jpg
    no time to check this one out.jpg
    423 KB · Views: 2
  • the flower.jpg
    the flower.jpg
    271.8 KB · Views: 2
  • the tree.jpg
    the tree.jpg
    765.2 KB · Views: 2
  • waterfall.jpg
    waterfall.jpg
    653.1 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

jim65wagon

You're welcome....It may not be "undiscovered country" or even the wide open wild west; but it's all places I've never been before. There are hundreds of miles of forest roads and trails throughout the East just begging to be "explored". We're getting started to doing just that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman