Crazy idea involving some big cab mods

Paddy

Adventurer
IMG_4258.jpgSo we went from a sprinter to a f350 as our adventure rig. It was a combination of trade offs obviously. The sprinter was fantastic in every way except for 1: lack of 4x4 and 2: lack of articulation. It was terrible off road.
So, we are building the f350 which solves those problems, however there is one thing that a truck lacks compared to the van and that is the disconnect between the cab and the rear area. Not being able to get back there for items, naps, early starts, etc is a major drag on road trips compared to the cabin of a van. Sooooo, I'm considering a drastic solution to that. Basically cut the back of the cab off and bind the cab to the box rigidly (not permanently) with a camper shell type thing. We see this done with truck and van chassis RV conversions so it's not totally unprescedented. What I'd lose is the ability to use it as a TRUCK truck (bikes, dirt, debris, etc) and I'd lose some articulation, but I don't care so much about that because with 35's and 4wd it's plenty capable for what we need.

My hesitations come from the possibility of added noise in the cab. I don't want to make it considerably louder as it's already very loud (6.0 diesel, mud tyres and very loud turbo) and I'm somewhat concerned that the rear would be annoyingly hard to access like a truck with a canopy.

Anyone have thoughts about this? I know it's a terrible idea but I'm not worried about resale or anything like that. I want a comfy and useable camper/adventure rig and it seems like a big benefit in that regard.

I suppose I could make a snap on cab cover for using as a truck if needed, assuming I could take off the camper shell part.

Last edited:

borison

Adventurer
I like your idea and have tossed this idea around from time to time. I think it would be very cool. Would the cost and benefit outweigh buying an Excursion? I would love to see what you come up with, good luck and post pics.

My goal has always been to buy a utility bed similar to yours for my f250 (same set up as yours w/ a 7.3 zf6) and put a four wheel camper on the box. No pass through but that isnt really necessary and you would sacrifice cab room to do the conversion and have access to the rear. Keep the cab separate and make an in the bed camper work, you should be able to find one the correct size for between the rails or build one with the time you would put into creating a pass through. As an added benefit, its always removable. I decided I'd like to be able to to the camper and drop it to still have use of the truck so i built this ************ rig for about 2K. Never limits where I go although it sucks to back down a UP two track.

20161002_183223.jpg

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
Why not build a removable hatch, like a plane door but not on hinges. You could leave it in when the camper is on the back to cancel any noise. It would be secure when the bed is open.

Betarocker

Adventurer
There's quite a lot of frame flex on the Superduties, especially with 1999-2007 spring length. the longer newer length springs move a lot freer due to the axle being centered on them.

Connecting the bed to the cab will either need a flexible joint between or use a 3 point bed mount like on Unimogs to allow the chassis to flex independently of the bed/cab.

Paddy

Adventurer
There's quite a lot of frame flex on the Superduties, especially with 1999-2007 spring length. the longer newer length springs move a lot freer due to the axle being centered on them.

Connecting the bed to the cab will either need a flexible joint between or use a 3 point bed mount like on Unimogs to allow the chassis to flex independently of the bed/cab.
Why can't it be bolted together while sacrificing the frame flex? You're right they do flex a lot which is nice but it limits design ideas considerably.

I like the hatch idea a lot, maybe a thick piece of plexiglass with a rubber gasket.

Paddy

Adventurer
My goal has always been to buy a utility bed similar to yours for my f250 (same set up as yours w/ a 7.3 zf6) and put a four wheel camper on the box. No pass through but that isnt really necessary and you would sacrifice cab room to do the conversion and have access to the rear. Keep the cab separate and make an in the bed camper work, you should be able to find one the correct size for between the rails or build one with the time you would put into creating a pass through. As an added benefit, its always removable. I decided I'd like to be able to to the camper and drop it to still have use of the truck so i built this ************ rig for about 2K. Never limits where I go although it sucks to back down a UP two track.

View attachment 413304
True points and I've tried to talk myself into the trailer idea instead of all this silly overlander stuff but I keep thinking that the majority of our adventures are day trips and simple overnights where a trailer seems gear heavy and ya backing down trails at night not so fun. But trailers have sooo many other advantages as well. Kinda why I agree that the cab should be kept separate. It frees up the truck to be a truck for times when bikes and gear are back there. Or maybe a yd of gravel. I still like the idea of a big aluminum camper shell too and I've built several others that were pretty slick.
Besides if there is a pass through to any type of bed thing my GF will abandon me to nap while I slave away between the lines.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan