Creating new bicycle trails... help!

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
I have started a conversation with the mayor of my town about the lack of trails in the city/county. I said I think there are several organizations that could help organize labor donations etc. It is my first time jumping into this fray.... any tips/contacts/etc to share? These are not 4x4 trails, but multi-use trails to include bicycles!

rkj__

Adventurer
I have started a conversation with the mayor of my town about the lack of trails in the city/county. I said I think there are several organizations that could help organize labor donations etc. It is my first time jumping into this fray.... any tips/contacts/etc to share? These are not 4x4 trails, but multi-use trails to include bicycles!

This is certainly a job for a group, not an individual, IMO. What organizations are in place that would be interested in moving such a project forward?

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Jay, where are you located?

In 2006 a buddy and I started a small for-profit LLC called Raven Singletrack. The objective was to "unite the clans" so to speak and bind the community behind two things. 1) Having fun on bikes. Not just rides, but we rubbed some rock'n'roll on our gatherings making them too fun to pass up. 2) To give that community a collective voice for trail advocacy. We found people who would show up for the BBQs and fun events couldn't then wiggle out of the hard work of building trails without a bunch of guilt. We later transformed that community into a community-guided club: The Prescott Mountain Bike Alliance. They in turn have helped get thousands of man-hours of trail built through IMBA. They have a pretty powerful voice now and it all started with me on the phone with the local riders, a bunch of small rides, cases of cheap beers, and a few shovels. Our first ride in 2007 had 7 riders. Our first trail work day with the forest service had 6 people. By the time we handed everything over to the club we helped form, rides would have over 75 people and people had to reserve a spot on a trail day as we didn't have enough equipment. It has been so successful, IMBA relocated a representative here PERMANENTLY! Not gonna lie, I'm very proud it all started with two of us chatting over burritos.

So, long story, but sometimes the first step is uniting your user group. Without that audience all behind new trails, there's not a chance it will happen. Unite your group. Initiate dialog with the land managers to feel out the challenges. Call IMBA for advice, and get ready to herd the cats (your local riders).

My personal advice - aligning any group with a "good citizen" foundation is tough. Creating something organic and fun they will want to be a part of is much harder to do, but the results are far more successful.

SNOWDOZER

Adventurer
What kind of "trails" are you talking about? Are they single track mountain bike trails or paved multi use? My wife works for our town hall and was a big part in the development and completion of our Truckee River Legacy Trail, she could have a lot of info on that for you. If its single track and the only individuals using said trail it will be a little harder for the public to swallow. We just opened the Truckee Bike Park at our river front park. Good luck.

rcharrette

Adventurer
A few question

Who administers the land: BLM, USFS, the Town, Etc
Do you have a bike shop in town to work with on trail advocacy?
Have you contacted IMBA to see if they have any partners in the area?

Going to your town Council (Mayor) is a great first step. If you can get the Town behind it to highlight economic and health benefits it goes a long way. However that being said it's a LONG process when working through this. We started our process with the BLM 9 years ago and just put shovels on the ground at the end of last summer. We had the full support of out local government and BLM office. Everyone WANTS this and it still took 9 year!

Strap in for the long haul and be patient.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998