Crua Loj/Thermo Tent - insulated tent

Bobzdar

Observer
Hi all, did a search and didn't see much on this tent. I have a trip scheduled in Feb to go to the Poconos - a good friend of mine has 220 acres bordering around 7000 acres of PA game land we want to go and explore, so we need some lodging for a 4 day weekend. After a bunch of searching, we settled on the Loj with a small wood stove, but I wanted to get some opinions here and see if anyone had experience with one, or with the thermo tent which was it's Kickstarter predecessor, in cold/wintry conditions. All reviews I've seen of it have been good and it appears to be able to withstand really high winds, though we shouldn't have to deal too much with that as we'll be close to tree lines which should block a lot of it.

Here's a link:

https://www.cruaoutdoors.com/products/crua-loj-6-person-tent

I called and talked to them and they said adding a stove jack would be fine and that a few customers had done so, but that unless it's really cold it wouldn't be strictly necessary. Feb in northern PA can be really cold, so that's the plan. We'll only be a few miles from civilization and will have a couple of well outfitted Jeeps, so if things go sideways we'll be able to pack up and get out without trouble, but the plan is to tough it out unless we have an equipment failure that can't be field repaired.

No knowledge or experience with either but...

I'm in PA and have camped in the moutains near Mifflinburg in the winter. Used my 10x14 Kodiak Canvas tent, cots and a $80 Mr. Heater little buddy propane heater with the filter and extended hose hooked up to large grill sized propane tank.

Kept all 6 of us warm enough we had to turn the heater off and open the windows.

That heater has come in handy for other uses other than camping. Used it for tailgating in the past and just last night to heat my garage for some vehicle oil changes last night.

My advice is to check out the Buddy Heater

Bobzdar

Observer
No knowledge or experience with either but...

I'm in PA and have camped in the moutains near Mifflinburg in the winter. Used my 10x14 Kodiak Canvas tent, cots and a $80 Mr. Heater little buddy propane heater with the filter and extended hose hooked up to large grill sized propane tank.

Kept all 6 of us warm enough we had to turn the heater off and open the windows.

That heater has come in handy for other uses other than camping. Used it for tailgating in the past and just last night to heat my garage for some vehicle oil changes last night.

My advice is to check out the Buddy Heater

We've got one of those as well. We'll be out for 4 days so not sure what propane consumption would be. Plan is to use pellets in the wood stove with a Mr buddy for backup/supplement if necessary.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior