Cummins 2.8L inline 4 diesel

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
With the numbers the 2.8 duramax can lay down, this engine is capable of more than advertised. Just needs someone to crack the computer.

Exactly! Cummins engines tend to be easily tunable and have plenty of untapped potential.

Kind of funny how people always talk about the oil pan being composite and being a "poor choice" on Cummins' part. I partially agree with that due to oil pans always being a risk for being wacked but understand what Cummins was trying to accomplish. The composite material drowns out a lot of the engine noise especially on the highway. A fix is that you can always build a skid but if you listen in the video, Cummins does offer an aluminum pan (really not that much better). Another "issue" people talk about is that Tubesock only got 18 or so mpg on DED. First off, 18 mpg is great regardless on a TJ and secondly Tubesock is WAAAAAYYYYY overgeared for the Cummins.

I can't wait for them to release a price, I want this engine bad

Dalko43

Explorer
Kind of funny how people always talk about the oil pan being composite and being a "poor choice" on Cummins' part. I partially agree with that due to oil pans always being a risk for being wacked but understand what Cummins was trying to accomplish. The composite material drowns out a lot of the engine noise especially on the highway. A fix is that you can always build a skid but if you listen in the video, Cummins does offer an aluminum pan (really not that much better).

That's exactly what the Cummins rep said when he was pressed by the Dirt Every Day crew on the oil pan breaking. I'm not sure that I buy it...seeing as how the oil pan is at the bottom of the engine and the firewall and sound deadening is probably mitigating most of the noise.

Granted, just about any engine oil pan taking a direct hit is going to have some issues (that's generally why skid plates are put there), but aluminum or iron instills a whole lot more confidence in the engine's overall build quality than composite.

That aside, I'm excited to see this engine come to market.

It's been a while since I watched that video, but if I remember right, the oil pan hit that rock pretty dang hard. I would not have been surprised if that hit put a hole in an aluminum or steel pan.

The idea of a polymer pan is cool because you could 3d print one specifically for your application. I don't know what I think of it as the OEM product though.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I recall nissan mentioning a special head / valve design. I would be really curious if the head and valving is different than the marine ized version.

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
It's been a while since I watched that video, but if I remember right, the oil pan hit that rock pretty dang hard. I would not have been surprised if that hit put a hole in an aluminum or steel pan.

The idea of a polymer pan is cool because you could 3d print one specifically for your application. I don't know what I think of it as the OEM product though.

They also took a terrible line and even flat out admitted it in the video. I recall them saying something along the lines "We should have just drove the rock rather than straddled it".

Dalko43

Explorer
They also took a terrible line and even flat out admitted it in the video. I recall them saying something along the lines "We should have just drove the rock rather than straddled it".

The engine oil pan did take a pretty hard hit and the results wouldn't have been good regardless of the material used. All the same, using polymer for that kind of engine component just doesn't sit well with me, and I'm sure a lot of others. That coupled with its Chinese origins, I just really hope this thing truly has the reliability and durability that Cummins engines are known for.

doug720

Expedition Leader
None of the current small displacement diesels will be known for what the "old School" diesels were. Old diesels were cast iron, low rpm, designed to go many 100's of thousand miles. Modern diesels are often mixes of cast iron blocks with aluminum heads, high rpm power, complex electronics and after treatment.

This may be a great engine, time will tell, but it's not what diesels were know for...

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
The engine oil pan did take a pretty hard hit and the results wouldn't have been good regardless of the material used. All the same, using polymer for that kind of engine component just doesn't sit well with me, and I'm sure a lot of others. That coupled with its Chinese origins, I just really hope this thing truly has the reliability and durability that Cummins engines are known for.

If my information is correct, the engine has been used internationally in both watercraft and automobiles for several years now and proven to be a very reliable and popular engine in that time frame. The Chinese origins worried me a little also initially, but knowing Cummins they probably know what they are doing and I trust them. The oil pan issue, well that's just going to have to be a $200 investment to get a custom skid built.

None of the current small displacement diesels will be known for what the "old School" diesels were. Old diesels were cast iron, low rpm, designed to go many 100's of thousand miles. Modern diesels are often mixes of cast iron blocks with aluminum heads, high rpm power, complex electronics and after treatment.

This may be a great engine, time will tell, but it's not what diesels were know for...

True. The 2.8 though still looks to be a low revving diesel in traditional Cummins fashion based on some of the power specs, I think peak torque was listed at 1800rpms and peak horsepower at 3600rpms. Not really that much different compared to the older 5.9s that hit peak torque around 1400-1600rpms. Then again you could say that is comparing apples to oranges since they are two entirely different engines

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12