Cummins 4BT who's runnin em

dirty Bakers

Conservative
I would like to hear from those of you who are actually running the Cummins four cylinder engine. How reliable has it been? What's your fuel mileage? Who peformed your swap or are you still cruising the bread van? Do you pull a trailer? Does it run upside down? What countries have you been to with your rig? And so on. Oh yah one more, what does your wife think of the engine?

strange

Observer
Ive got one in a 95 Bronco.
3:55s and 33's is just about perfect for highway cruising, but leaves me wishing I had a bit more umph when towing but couldn't tap into it anymore because the egt's were a little high. But its stock 105 horse trim right now, so after bigger turbo an intercooler and some tuning i think it should tow what I need just fine.

After I put it in, the first thousand or miles had some little issues that just needed some worn out parts on the front replaced, like the belt tensioner, but after about 5k miles all the little issues stopped and Ive now put about 25k miles on the swap. The amount of torque right off of idle is unbelievable, traction willing it will idle up about any hill you point it at.

Its never been out of USA, but never really had any plans for travel outside of here, but with all the mid 90s fords there were, finding parts is no problems, and any part store engine parts you may need, almost all of them work off of early 90s dodge with the 6bt, so finding maintenance parts is no issue.

As for gas mileage I get 17-20 mpg city and 20-25 mpg highway driving from in a hurry to driving speed limit. Drafted an 18 wheeler for 120 miles one time and got 28mpg, once I play with the timing and get the intercooler im going to try that again to get 30mpg one time, then im never going to drive that slow ever again haha

As for the noise it is obviously loud, but its not really an obnoxious noise, but the ZF5 behind a diesel with a single mass flywheel....that noise is VERY obnoxious

http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=154294&highlight=riddance

Eaglefreek

Eagleless
A buddy of mine has one in a full size Cherokee. It has 33's and a 5 speed. It's his daily driver and swears he gets low 30's. But he drives it easy. He has 2 more 4BT's. One is going in another Cherokee and the other in a M715. He loves it.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
If you haven't already, check out 4btswaps.com. Its the absolute authority on 4BT and other light diesel conversions and happens to by run by ExPo member dieselcruiserhead whom has run a couple 4BT rigs.

dirty Bakers

Conservative
Cool, guys thanks. I have been reading the info on th 4btswaps forum and it is very good. But I am looking for some real world feed back about the actual use of the vehicle after the swap that you dont seem to get on that forum. There are many people wanting to perform the swap (my self included) but very few who actually post up where they have been and what they have done after the swap. I remember at the first overland expo in Prescott valley there was a defender with a 4bt, now that was sweet and i would like to get feedback from that guy.

doug720

Expedition Leader
Don't overlook an Isuzu 4BD1/2. Great engine and much quieter, don't hardly vibtaye and easy to install. If have seen the white NPR box trucks all over the road...you have seen a 4BD1/2.

I put one in my FJ60 and have very happy with the results. 20+ mpg over the last 5700 miles. If you want to see my swap go to ih8mud toyota section in the diesel and search for "The Journey Begins" if the link below does not work.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/diesel-tech-...ey-begins.html

Doug

Site's not letting me upload pics, I'll try later

Avantcore

Did we...

Don't overlook an Isuzu 4BD1/2. Great engine and much quieter, don't hardly vibtaye and easy to install. If have seen the white NPR box trucks all over the road...you have seen a 4BD1/2.

So did we get these in the U.S.? I google'd a bit but did not find an answer. If not what do people do, just import them usually?

doug720

Expedition Leader
Yes, they are everywhere in the US! You can get parts at any Chevy or Isuzu dealer in the US also. Common, tough, 4 cylinder diesel engine with a factory turbo and inter-cooler. Google Isuzu NPR, or 4BD2, or Chevy W3500 to see them.

Read my swap on mud and check the Isuzu 4BD1/2 section of 4btswaps.

Doug005-resized.jpg002-resized.jpg006-resized.jpg007-resized.jpg

Last edited:

Avantcore

That's pretty cool. Now that I know about them, I saw something like (3) of the vehicles today I think. A tow truck, a city truck and finally a garbage truck all Isuzu obviously.

I am now pretty interested in knowing how extensive the fabrication is for this swap and what other Toyota's it would fit in easily.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78