Custom Pop-Up Truck Camper for 5.5 bed pickups SOLD SOLD SOLD

A new shiny object has come along and it's time to part with my custom pickup truck camper.

I fabricated and constructed this camper from scratch during the winter of 2018 to serve as a lightweight, modern and durable camper for my 2016 Ford F150 with 5.5' bed. I've used it just twice so it still has that "new camper smell." :)

I've included a detailed overview below and you can explore the build from start to finish here: https://expeditionportal.com/forum/...e-my-home-built-pop-up-camper-project.196369/

OUTER DIMENSIONS
  • 10' 1" total length, 49.5" wide at pickup bed floor, 78" exterior width above bed rail INTERIOR DIMENSIONS
  • 47.5" wide in lower floor section, 76" wide above bed rails, 9' 8" long BUILD CONSTRUCTION
  • 1" Square steel tube frame fully welded on all joints o Aluminum outer skin attached using VHB tape o Aluminum corner and edge trim fastened with stainless fasteners
  • 1" foam insulation throughout o Simple wedge pop-up expanding at front of camper and held up with heavy duty gas topper struts o Waterproof riptstop nylon pop-up fabric
  • Locking rear popup camper door

ELECTRICAL
  • Simple 12v system wired inside interior cabinet consisting of:
  • Lead Deep Cycle Batter (WalMart special, not AGM)
  • Blue Sea Fuse Panel oBattery Cut Off Switch oFive 12v switch circuits powering:
  • Overhead LED Interior Light oUnder Cabinet LED Reading Light
  • Outdoor LED Porch Light oOutdoor LED Side Light oFantastic Fan Roof Vent
  • Exterior 110v connection with provision for a simple, heavy duty, fused three outlet block under passenger side bench

INTERIOR/ACCOMODATIONS
  • Interior walls covered in blue indoor/outdoor carpet for versatility
  • Wood plank floor o Full size innerspring mattress up top
  • Two benches on outer wall of lower section that convert into small sleeping platforms for kids (intended for my 8 and 6 year olds)
  • Under bench storage cabinet at front of lower bench "L" built to store gear or accomodate a cartridge toilet

ADDITIONAL DETAILS
  • ARB Awning mounted on passenger side
  • Older Manual Titan camper jacks included for all four corners

SOLD

Attachments

• IMG_9071.jpg
    IMG_9071.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 767
  • IMG_4085.jpg
    IMG_4085.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 706
  • IMG_4088.jpg
    IMG_4088.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 559
  • IMG_4087.jpg
    IMG_4087.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 544
  • IMG_4086.jpg
    IMG_4086.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 534
  • IMG_4084.jpg
    IMG_4084.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 518
  • IMG_4081.jpg
    IMG_4081.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 502
  • IMG_4080.jpg
    IMG_4080.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 496
  • IMG_3184.jpg
    IMG_3184.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 486
  • IMG_9067.jpg
    IMG_9067.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 460
Last edited:

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
What are the dimensions of the upper bed? And can the lower part become a complete sleeping platform across the width?

What are the dimensions of the upper bed? And can the lower part become a complete sleeping platform across the width?

Good questions. The topside bed has a full size mattress measuring 54” x 75”.

With the bottom swing up “kid” beds in place there is an eight inch gap in the middle. An easy solution to make this into another full size bed platform would be to either:

1) Make a simple1/4 inch plywood bridge that roughly 12” wide by the length of the gap. it could easily be covered in the same carpet material to match the rest of the interior.

2) It would be just a bit more work, but one could build a hinges bridge that flips from behind/under one of the existing flip ups and is supported by shoulder brackets on the opposite flip up.

Solution one could be done in 30 minutes and $20 in materials. I imagine option two might take an hour or two tops and maybe $50 in materials.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears