CVT summit question and 23 zero RTT

Latir2015

Anyone on the forum know if the stargazer is standard on the CVT summit extended models?

Also 23 zero tents have pretty thick canopys and a thicker mattress than the other major brands plus decent price and free shipping to boot via eBay, anyone care to share their thoughts or experiences with them?

1Louder

Explorer
I hate my matress in my CVT. It's not dense/firm enough. The one in the 23 zero is way better. Much firmer and I don't bottom out when on my side (this was during limited testing and I don't own a 23 Zero) Many upgrades compared to the standard Mt Rainer. I have a 2" memory foam topper on top of my CVT mattress but that also makes it much more difficult to close. Of course some folks are fine with the CVT mattress. I have also put a thermarest on top in lieu of the memory foam but when's pending big bucks on an RTT you shouldn't have to modify it. I would rather have too firm than too soft with my shoulder digging into the floor.

23 Zero is very new but I would expect some real reviews to come soon. Turtleback Trailers just sold a bunch of trailers with the 23 Zero tents so I would imagine you may hear from some of them. Competition is always good.

If I had the choice today I would go with the the large 23 Zero. It's the same size as the Mt Rainer. It's more rugged, has the skylight, and a few other things for the less than the standard CVT with the sunroof. It also shares some features of the more rugged Summit series for way less.

With that said I still love my CVT. It has held up well in high winds and is a good quality product. I just wish they spent a few dollars more on a denser foam mattress. Only way to fix is buy something from Foam by Mail that is more dense and won't be as long. I could then cut a portion of the CVT mattress to extend the length though.

http://www.cascadiatents.com/Extended-Summit-Series.htm?m=87&s=615&&id=413 I see no mention of the stargazer feature. Email CVT.

Last edited:

shooler

We just picked up a Ranier Summit extended and can confirm the Stargazer is an option. I think it adds $250 to the price. As a side note, the Summit Ranier replaced our standard Ranier that had the Stargazer option. We rarely used the sky lights, so opted for the version without.

the kid

Juke Box Hero
i was going to be getting a CVT summit series in the shasta flavor but CVT had some issues with no annex ect, and i can not stand that neon green color. anyhow i ended up with a 23zero tent, i couldnt be happier! i got the smaller of the two 23zeros (the Litchfield). some things i like about it better than the CVTs, the annex is the same material as the rain fly, where as CVTs is the same as the tent -tomato tomoto.... its a mater of personal preference, and i like the lighter weight. i do like the thicker mattress, however i did go down to REI and buy a couple thermarest solite pads and installed them under the tent mattress. there is a much noticed difference and it doesnt affect it closing noticeably. im also hoping this will help with the plagued condensation under the mats in the morning. also they should help reflect body head in winter and outside heat in the summer as they have a special foil coating on one side for heat reflection. i also ordered some led strip lights for the tent and annex.

Attachments

• IMG_20160422_195705.jpg
    IMG_20160422_195705.jpg
    561 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_20160422_200425.jpg
    IMG_20160422_200425.jpg
    569.7 KB · Views: 64

the kid

Juke Box Hero
For some reason I could not attach these three pics to the above post so here it is
c4cad3ffaea7dc03f2e7a5e3bb9b7d4e.jpg

95a8b219e3849b78d3fe66c9d110d5b1.jpg

018bf13054332646719371fa2e18aff8.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

el_topu

Adventurer
That 23 Zero RTT looks really nice!
Did you get the Sky window?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Box Rocket

The Tepui Autana Sky is roughly the same setup as the 23Zero pictured. It includes the annex, and the sky windows are standard. The solid panel and the mesh panels can both be opened. I have found the mattresses in the Tepui tents to be really nice. I've always slept very comfortably, but it subjective and everyone is a little different. I've never felt the need for extra pads or mattress toppers.
DSC_8705_1024x1024.jpg

4e1719051d1ead21e88f3b239e214204.jpg

The Ruggedized is just that. Much heavier duty for better durability and extreme conditions. Also includes the best anti-condensation mat on the market. The Ruggedized doesn't include the sky feature. Personally I rarely used the feature when I owned one of the Sky models.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12