Debate on Roadless Rule heats up again

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
goodtimes said:
Chuck, you have some valid points, but I do think that access for handicapped people should be *A* consideration. Not *THE* consideration, but one of them. We should not make EVERY wilderness attraction handicap accessable, not even a majority of them. But I feel that every roughly geographical region should have some access for handicapped people. There should be places that someone can take their 95 year old father who is confined to a wheel chair, so they can enjoy nature without having to drag him across stumps, and rivers, and through heavy brush, etc. These area's don't need to be in the heart of a wilderness area...but they should not be overly-developed either. There are many places that fit the bill already, and my arguement is not that we should do this everywhere, but it is something that should be kept in mind as the debate about access continues.

It already is *A* consideration, most National Parks have handicap access. When I went to Denali NP in 2002, they actually bus people in, I saw a couple hundred caribou, and several grizzley bears, from the comfy bus seat. That's as wilderness as it gets for handicapped or anyone else. The argument your making I won't buy, not even for a dollar.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Not even for a dollar? Man, that's harsh! But hey, I'll give you a f'in cookie for sticking to your story. :D

(you had to be there to understand that comment.....Super Chukuck will get it ;) )

awalter

Expedition Portal Team, Overland Certified OC0003
Chuck,

That isn't the only way to enjoy Denali. There are plenty of areas that are open for wilderness hiking & camping. All you have to do is get off the bus! I must admit the majority of folks won't.

By the way, this year the caribou herd count was way down & nobody has come up with an explanation.

Last edited:

Scott Brady

Founder
At the end of the day, it comes down to entitlement...

Some feel they are entitled to drive anywhere, and everywhere and by whatever means they consider appropriate. (these are often the same people who feel they are entitled not to work, and receive compensation).

However, there are some of us that believe we cannot be selfish, and all consuming. That maybe we should not tap ANWAR this generation, but save it for my nephews generation. That maybe an area should never have a road built through it, and remain untouched. I want to visit these places, park my truck and walk through a narrow opening into another place, with no quads or trucks, just animals and trees and quiet.

No one questions the sensibility of educating our youth, improving technology, and saving money for retirement. It is the same principal. We must save these places for those that come after us, as well as for ourselves.

Attachments

• peak to peak.jpg
    peak to peak.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
  • IMGP3625-2.JPG
    IMGP3625-2.JPG
    168.1 KB · Views: 1
  • pathfinder2.jpg
    pathfinder2.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 2
  • pathfinder.jpg
    pathfinder.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
expeditionswest said:
At the end of the day, it comes down to entitlement...

What is entitling them Scott? They must be given it somehow from somewhere to feel it. Who do you think has entitled these people to act this way? Themselves? Their friends? A website? Their government? Their God?

Scott Brady

Founder
By just being "American" many individuals believe that ALL public land should be at their disposal, and that NO ONE should infringe on their right to exploit it for monetary or recreational use. That is why people drive off trail, or cut lumber illegally, or poach, or wildcat dumping.

How many times have you heard someone say "I pay taxes, I can drive anywhere I damn well please"? They believe they are entitled to use the land in whatever fashion they choose, if it is legal or not.

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
expeditionswest said:
By just being "American" many individuals believe that ALL public land should be at their disposal, and that NO ONE should infringe on their right to exploit it for monetary or recreational use. That is why people drive off trail, or cut lumber illegally, or poach, or wildcat dumping.

How many times have you heard someone say "I pay taxes, I can drive anywhere I damn well please"? They believe they are entitled to use the land in whatever fashion they choose, if it is legal or not.

I think these people should answer a higher question and not cop out by saying they pay taxes. I want to ask these people why they think it is right to do certain things, like throw litter carelessly. I don't throw my can out the window because it is just wrong, why do I know that and they don't?

Just so people know, I'm not advocating some hands off approach to everything, I think mineral extraction, oil, grazing, 4x4, and everything else can all coexist if they are all done sustainably. Things like oil where you are getting a non-renewable product by definition is not susatainable, but in those cases I mean the extraction methods should be sustainable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12