Decent Deal on ARB Snatch Block

AlexJet

Explorer
Hi Guys,
thought it might be useful to get some information on the 9000 snatch block directly from the source as there has been a variety of published information on that part number (including by us of all things) that is incorrect. I asked Daniel Bongard, the engineer who was in charge of development of that snatch block to read through the thread and give me his thoughts. Below are his comments.
Thanks,
Marc
ARB USA

Well, for starters the published breaking strain on the box is 38,500lbs – not 30,000lbs...so I don’t know where that web site got those specs from.
Ref: http://www.oconeeoffroad.com/servlet/the-4149/ARB-Snatch-Block/Detail

Next...I don’t know where we got the breaking strain for the packages in the first place, we have never broken one, and our test press stalls out pulling on them at 46,000lbs.

And for the record, winches are only capable of pulling their specified maximum if they are wrapped around the bare drum (as was mentioned in the thread) and if they suffer NO VOLTAGE DROP which requires the transformer out of the Back To The Future Delorean in order to power it without suffering voltage drop. We burned out 3 brand new winches trying to test the 9000kg snatch block (without damaging the snatch block) before we gave up and used diesel tow power instead.

Hope that helps!

====================================================
Daniel J Bongard (MEng)
Product Development Supervisor
ARB 4x4 Accessories, AUSTRALIA

9000 snatch block...Is it this one?
10100020[1].jpg

or this one?
18024-md.jpg

michaelgroves

Explorer
The first one you have picture is the "9000".

Yes, that was my understanding.

But Daniel Bongard from ARB (Aus) is confusing me. Yes, the 9000 has a quoted breaking strength of 38,500lbs, but the site he linked to (indicating a 30,000lb breaking strength) is picturing the the standard ARB block, not the 9000. So is Daniel saying the standard ARB block has the same specifications as the 9000? (In which case the linked website is wrong). Or has he got his wires crossed and not noticed that he's talking about two different ARB blocks?

ARBTECH

Observer
The wire crossing might have been me actually, the reference may have been in place to indicate the confusion. The 9000 is the newer one and substantially stronger than the older design. The 2 blocks do not share the same ratings.
Marc
ARBUSA

michaelgroves

Explorer
The wire crossing might have been me actually, the reference may have been in place to indicate the confusion. The 9000 is the newer one and substantially stronger than the older design. The 2 blocks do not share the same ratings.
Marc
ARBUSA

Hi Marc,

So what are the correct ratings for each of them? (Breaking and working loads, if posssible).

Cheers,

Michael...

ARBTECH

Observer
Hi Guys,
here are the specs from engineering.
Marc
ARBUSA

OK, the specs from the box:

7000kg
Working = 15,400lbs
Breaking = 32,000lbs
Weight = 7.7

9000kg
Working = 20,000lbs
Breaking = 38,500lbs
Weight = 5.3

Note: 7000kg block actually breaks at 32,000lbs – whereas the 9000kg is damaged but still usable after 38,500lbs. I think that's where they got the spec value from.

Last edited:

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
When you say "rated", that surely can't be the breaking strength? The heavy duty ARB is 38,500lbs (breaking strength) and 19,800lbs working load. The standard ARB is 30,000lbs breaking strength, so presumably 15,000lbs working load.

If the T-Max uses a similar 50% margin, it seems to be heavier duty than the standard ARB at 17,500lbs, vs 15,000lbs.
Very true. I really hate when there's no industry standard for describing an item. I looked and couldn't find a breaking load for the T-Max so couldn't really tell. But in thinking about it, you're probably right.

michaelgroves

Explorer
Next...I don't know where we got the breaking strain for the packages in the first place, we have never broken one, and our test press stalls out pulling on them at 46,000lbs.
We burned out 3 brand new winches trying to test the 9000kg snatch block (without damaging the snatch block) before we gave up and used diesel tow power instead.

Daniel J Bongard (MEng)
Product Development Supervisor
ARB 4x4 Accessories, AUSTRALIA

That seems a bit odd, though. Surely you'd test several to destruction???

As for burning out three new winches doing so, c'mon! When the winch stalls, surely you stop? And then just use a couple of snatch blocks. That part's not rocket science!

ARBTECH

Observer
Hi Michael,
as I understand it the reason they didn't break any blocks was the result of breaking cables. They apparently begin failing in the range Daniel described. As for why they burned up 3 motors, not sure on that one, but it may have had more to do with an initial concern that they had a faulty winch or even 2 based on low performance numbers being attained despite using a truck with dual batteries and a good electrical system. They just couldn't make enough pulling power.
Marc

01tundra

Explorer
For what it's worth, I practically stalled my Warn 9.5XP and eventually broke my brand new Viking 3/8" synthetic rope after eating through my composite fairlead.....my ARB 9000 snatch block was the only thing that didn't have any problems that day.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998