Detroit Locker: Looking for Real World Experience

FleshEater

First time I’ve ever heard the “built for street racing” argument. I agree that a selectable locker is probably better (owned many ARB’s and elockers) for most people, once a person learned how a Detroit reacts, it’s very easy to accommodate it into driving habits.

Same here. Seen plenty of Detroits or Grizzlies in off road only vehicles.

I would really be interested in an e-locker but everyone says they pretty much suck for engagement. The ARB forces me to route air lines and add an air compressor...and those air lines are easy to end up with leaks you have to chase down.

01tundra

Explorer
Selectable lockers are the way to go for all around use, but they can also fail (air leaks, or lack of electronic engagement).

I ran a Detroit in the rear of my '74 Bronco and it was OK on the road......

As far a failures with selectable, that's likely due to installation issues, I ran ARB's in the front and rear of my Tundra on the toughest trails across America and never had a failure, including any air leaks. I also know of countless rigs who run ARB's without issues.

From now on it's only ARB for me.

wltrmtty

I have a Sportsmobile that was lifted and converted by Timberline Vans. They installed a Detroit Trutrac LSD in the rear and a selectable electric locker up front. I love them and they have worked well for me.

FleshEater

What year is you 4runner? You may be able to find a Toyota e-lockers.

It’s an 08’. I can make a 3rd gen working, but tracking them down and paying the $700 price tag just makes no sense.

I ran a Detroit in the rear of my '74 Bronco and it was OK on the road......

As far a failures with selectable, that's likely due to installation issues, I ran ARB's in the front and rear of my Tundra on the toughest trails across America and never had a failure, including any air leaks. I also know of countless rigs who run ARB's without issues.

From now on it's only ARB for me.

I’ll be having East Coast Gear Supply re-gear and install the ARB, then ship it to me to install. Lots of chances to have something happen to the copper air line.

I have a Sportsmobile that was lifted and converted by Timberline Vans. They installed a Detroit Trutrac LSD in the rear and a selectable electric locker up front. I love them and they have worked well for me.

I have also considered the True Trac. I don’t think I will do enough hard wheeling to justify selectable front and rear lockers and it would end up feeling like a waste of money. To date I haven’t encountered anything my open diffs can’t tackle with 10psi in the tires.

But I like to be ready for anything.

bkg

Explorer
It’s an 08’. I can make a 3rd gen working, but tracking them down and paying the $700 price tag just makes no sense.

I’ll be having East Coast Gear Supply re-gear and install the ARB, then ship it to me to install. Lots of chances to have something happen to the copper air line.

I have also considered the True Trac. I don’t think I will do enough hard wheeling to justify selectable front and rear lockers and it would end up feeling like a waste of money. To date I haven’t encountered anything my open diffs can’t tackle with 10psi in the tires.

But I like to be ready for anything.

owned a lot of tru-trac equipped vehicles. I love the TT. I've had a few problems with them (search "jack factory" on 'mud), but overall, very good solution for a DD... I currently own 3. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior