Die Hard Batteries: Are They Really Back?

PaintRock

Adventurer
Sorry to exhume this. But does anyone have any experience with the new Diehard Platinums? If not, how about Duralast Platinums? My battery light came on yesterday. It’s off now, but it’s only a matter of time now, I think. BTW, I have eight years and nine months on my current battery…

Last edited:

broncobowsher

Adventurer
Battery light is typically the charging system failing, not the battery.
Best way to destroy a good battery is to pair it with a failing charging system.

PaintRock

Adventurer
Well, the alternator passed the Oreilly’s computer check. The battery diagnostic was “good battery, last quarter of life.” The battery I have in there now is a Diehard Platinum Group 35 I installed in January 2013. Clearly it’s been a good battery but I believe they were made by Odyssey back then. I’m not sure who’s making them now. It’s apparently not just a re-badged Northstar because the specs on the X2 are quite a bit better.

If I drop the cash for an X2, I’ll probably want to upgrade to a 27F. For that I’ll need a larger battery tray. Does anyone know the part number for the factory battery tray for Gen 1 Tundras that fit a 27F? I believe they came as part of the “all-weather package” that mine doesn’t have.

Last edited:

billiebob

Sorry to exhume this. But does anyone have any experience with the new Diehard Platinums? If not, how about Duralast Platinums? My battery light came on yesterday. It’s off now, but it’s only a matter of time now, I think. BTW, I have eight years and nine months on my current battery…
8 years and 9 months is the best reason to not change.
ps, get yer charging system checked too before winter.

And yes, all batteries might come from the same manufacturer but every brand provides the spec they want built. just because the best are made on the same line as the worst is no reason to judge the best.

reddrum

Perhaps old thread, but perhaps useful for someone. I bought two from Advance for a Chevrolet Duramax exactly one year ago. It appears there is a problem with one of them. Just figured it out this evening. Batteries are too expensive to even think one is dead after a year!

PaintRock

Adventurer
I went with the X2 from Batteries Plus. It's spendy but has a five year replacement warranty and really good reviews. The old Die Hard platinum made it 9 years almost exactly, but I don't think the new Die Hard platinums are made by the same company.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior