Ditch light / antenna mount

luckypup

In my reading I've seen pics of ditch light mounts that also have a place to mount an antenna. I'm looking to do this on my 4Runner. Does anyone know who makes these mounts/brackets?

kidphc

Personally, I am using a massive metal ditch light antenna hood mount on my landcruiser.

You do lose a bit of range and directionality. Due to the obstructions of the pillar and really bad ground plane.

Same antenna, same radio compared to a center roof mount. The ditch mount antenna hears between 60-70% of what it heard on the roof.

In my case, some frequencies get qrm, interference as well due to the proximity of electronics. It was really bad as my brake accumulator and abs module were dying.

If you can accept the losses. There are tons of vendors. Simple Google search will yield tons..

For example, the Rago one. You will need to buy the ditch light mount then the appropriate antenna mount tab.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

luckypup

Personally, I am using a massive metal ditch light antenna hood mount on my landcruiser.

You do lose a bit of range and directionality. Due to the obstructions of the pillar and really bad ground plane.

Same antenna, same radio compared to a center roof mount. The ditch mount antenna hears between 60-70% of what it heard on the roof.

In my case, some frequencies get qrm, interference as well due to the proximity of electronics. It was really bad as my brake accumulator and abs module were dying.

If you can accept the losses. There are tons of vendors. Simple Google search will yield tons..

For example, the Rago one. You will need to buy the ditch light mount then the appropriate antenna mount tab.

Many thanks. I know the placement isn't optimal for reception, but I'll mount it there until I get a new roof rack.

kidphc

Make sense..

Roof racks, was going to get one. Till I had problems figuring out how to make an nmo to nmo jumper.

When shopping, ask the manafacturer what type of loading it was designed for. Even when, it in specs. I see a lot of rocking from my ditch mount, due to the light and antenna. With the 2/70sh antenna it's doable for me. When I drop the Comet 2x24sr, the whole thing is constantly rocking due to the wind and bumps.

Wish you luck finding one you like. They are great if you can't find a sturdy good looking fender mount.

pagero

If you're open to ditching the ditch light mount (!) I recommend this one: https://www.gamiviti.com/antenna-brackets I have two of these on my 4Runner. Puts the antenna a bit more forward than a ditch mount, and the antenna stays in place when you open the hood.

Not stong enough for a 40" fiberglass CB antenna, but works well with 1/4 wave and 1/2 wave whips.

kidphc

If you're open to ditching the ditch light mount (!) I recommend this one: https://www.gamiviti.com/antenna-brackets I have two of these on my 4Runner. Puts the antenna a bit more forward than a ditch mount, and the antenna stays in place when you open the hood.

Not stong enough for a 40" fiberglass CB antenna, but works well with 1/4 wave and 1/2 wave whips.
I didn't like the one for the lc100. Bit flimsier then I had hoped. If I had a metal brake I would of put some extra bends in it to get it closer to the fender and stiffer.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I used CBI ditch light mounts for antennas on my Tacoma. I ended up moving them but that wasn't due to any issue with the mounts themselves. I just didn't like having antennas there. They'd ********** the hood and roof when drive on tight trails, was actually a little worried it might crack a windshield.

Actually have the driver side still. I don't know if it would fit a 4Runner but if so it's for sale.

IMG_0893_mid.jpg

IMG_0895_mid.jpg

MotoDave

Explorer
Another option is a hood channel mount like this: https://www.gamiviti.com/antenna-brackets

I've used them on my last 2 trucks, and been satisfied with the performance. I think the ground plane is somewhat better than the ditch light locatiuon ... but I'm no expert. Its worked fine for me for comms when driving in groups.

Bigc3031

I used this same mount but I cut it down past the slotted portion and drilled a hole to mount to the SDHQ/light so it fits tighter to the truck.

Attachments

• IMG_5058.jpeg
    IMG_5058.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 10

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior