DIY 105AH LIFEPO4 PACK version 3.0

BorealOverland

Hi guys.
After using my diy pack for about 2 years now i wanted to do a bit of upgrading.
I am using black plastic storage containers underneath my sleeping platform in my 2011 Outlander
and wanted to use the same black container for my battery pack, so that it blends in nicely..out of sight.
I also wanted to rearrange the outlets on the front and put an extra 3.0 USB on the site of the pack
so i can use that while the pack sits under my sleeping platform.

Here is version 3.0:

BorealOverland3.2.jpg

BorealOverland3.0.jpg
2x USB 3.0 and PD ports, 1x Neutrik Solar in, 2x Neutrik 20A out, 1x 50A Anderson, 1x 120A Anderson,
230V outlet (only active when charging via 230V plug). 200A main switch, 350A shunt with display.
120A SMART BMS.

BorealOverland3.1.jpg

BorealOverland3.3.jpg
1x USB 3.0 and PD port on the side..

BorealOverland3.4.jpg

230V plug (back of the pack) powered 24V 10A power source coupled to the Victron MPPT..
This way of charging via 230V is not recommended by Victron but has been working for my for
about 2 years now. I used the 24V power source because i had it laying around,
but will swap it out for a nice Victron 12V smart battery charger in the future.
For charging with solar i use a nice 120W foldable solar panel plugged in via the blue Neutrik outlet
connected also to the mppt. I won't charge via 230V and solar at the same time.

I have 2 small fans in the back of the pack that kick on via the Mppt while charging so the temp in the pack
does not get to warm.

First version:

See ya!
Steve

Last edited:

Superduty

Adventurer
What method do you use to make the square/rectangle cut outs? This box material appears to be plastic, but I think your 2.0 version was aluminum (so my question about cutting is also for the aluminum box).

Thanks

BorealOverland

What method do you use to make the square/rectangle cut outs? This box material appears to be plastic, but I think your 2.0 version was aluminum (so my question about cutting is also for the aluminum box).

Thanks

Hi,
the 2.0 version was the same plastic box but in the gray color, with a aluminum front panel.
This is the black one, made a new aluminum panel but covered it with black carpet i had left over from my
sleeping platform project in my car. Came out better than expected. Was thinking of using black spray paint
but not a fan of painting aluminum..

I made custom knives for a couple of years so working with steel, aluminum or even titanium is not that big of a deal.
I still have a pretty nice workshop with a lot of tools.. made the square cuts with a number of tools.

Steve

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179