DIY forced air propane heater?

trae

Adventurer
Hey folks, wondering if anyone's ever built or seen a home made forced air propane heater?

I came upon this on the local classifieds:

propane.jpg

Not a great photo I know. What I could surmise:

- the hose on the right is attached to a small fan powered by the battery
- you can see the standard green propane bottle attached to a burner underneath the heat exchanger
- the hose on the left goes to your tent or whatever

The seller claims that a single bottle lasts about 7 hours and brings the temps up about 10c in his tent. No idea about the power consumption for the fan.

I know diesel heaters are all the rage now, but my vehicle is gasoline and I'd love to avoid another fuel source. I know about propex heaters (https://propexcanada.com/product/hs2000-blown-air-heater/) but that's a little much for me at this time.

Having said that,

- Has anyone built/seen something similar out there in the wild?

- Any thoughts on this design?

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Looks like rocket science, let's make it simple, heat air with any heat source, turn on a fan and blow air past the heating source, bam!, forced air heating system.

Gat an ammo box, flex exhaust pipe, propane burner and tank along with a battery operated fan and put it all together. :)

trae

Adventurer
Looks like rocket science, let's make it simple, heat air with any heat source, turn on a fan and blow air past the heating source, bam!, forced air heating system.

Gat an ammo box, flex exhaust pipe, propane burner and tank along with a battery operated fan and put it all together. :)
Sounds simple enough :)

I would want the air traveling past the heat source to be fully isolated from the combustion so that I dont bring the results of said combustion into the tent.

rruff

Explorer
The seller claims that a single bottle lasts about 7 hours and brings the temps up about 10c in his tent. No idea about the power consumption for the fan.
If you are cheap and therefore considering a janky furnace designed and built by someone else... get a good sleeping bag, and a nice fluffy down blanket to throw over the top. Your ~100W of resting body heat is sufficient with decent insulation. If you hate getting into a cold bag and waiting for it to warm up, then get a little electric blanket to warm your bag for 30 minutes or so before you get in.

trae

Adventurer
I’ll DIY or garagineer a *lot* of things. Combustion and sleeping space is not one of those things.

Agreed, but I'm curious now.

Seems like there used to be a Zodi tent heater that got discontinued because if the fan died the unit melted.

Australians seem to have Companion Aeroheat which superficially looks like a new version of the Zodi:
Of course @rruff is 100% correct, in vast majority of the cases a sleeping bag is sufficient.

Anyway, needing out on gear here.

rruff

Explorer
Anyway, needing out on gear here.
It's an affliction...

It's happy hour... have another swig or whatever spins your props, and scale it back a bit... just for fun. You are talking about a RTT which has ******** for insulation anyway... so the heat you add will mostly be wasted. Insulate your body and you will sleep well...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior