Do people really take their off-road teardrops through gnarly trails?

jim65wagon

Gnarly trails? No, but that's one reason for having the trailer. We can set up a base camp and thoroughly explore an areas roads and trails (driving and hiking). Like driving Elephant Hill Road, we left the teardrop on BLM land for a night with the cows while we drove over Elephant Hill and camped out in our backpacking tent, then drove out Bobby's Hole and back to the teardrop.

The teardrop does see some rough two tracks though. We camped in some amazing places that I would never take our 19 foot travel trailer.

9615067fcedda84800b3e5dd3864a05f.jpg

Bluff Outside Theodore Roosevelt NP

da1a903ab54f5f8ecf2b4179ee20f48f.jpg

Death Valley Eye of the Needle

9ab3029282eb7aaef92781cf0729cfdf.jpg

Suislaw National Forest Oregon

As a matter of fact our first night boondocking with our 19 foot TT, we almost got it stuck in a spot the teardrop would've crawled over easily.

The teardrop allows us to get farther out than the TT, but it still has its limitations. We could realistically take it on tougher trails than we usually do but there's no reason to beat up the home we live in 6 months of the year.
It's best as a remote base camp, so we can further explore every area we visit.

2c2babc7b07bd99c60b6d5a1cbdec64c.jpg

Mojave National Preserve

We learned early on in our 12 years with this trailer to watch for turn around points everywhere you tow. Yes we've had to back out of a few places and that can be time consuming, but it's all part of teardrop life. I think the farthest I've backed is about a half of a mile.

64582641d3d51ba2951f12295ac8d880.jpg

Dunkle Hollow Road to Flagpole Knob, Virginia
*we did not have to back out of this but we did have to cut and winch a tree out of the road

One last thing I learned: when In n Out had their parking lot coned into a series of switchbacks for traffic flow, the teardrop can turn the corners better than the 3/4 ton Ford and Ram pickups that were in front of us in line....

Sent from my SM-G986U1 using Tapatalk

Dirt Rider

I've noticed most of the so called off road trailers are built by companies that never went off road with them, going down and then up a steep dip means the hitch will dig into the dirt and the back will dig into the other side. I have seen a few that look like they might work ok, but very few.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior