Dodge 2500 & FWC suspension mods needed?

beer belly boy

Hi everyone, I'm new to the group.
I have a 2000 FWC Grandby. I'm currently truckless due to an accident.

The last truck I had the camper on was a 97 F-350 with 351 and 4:10s. I loved how the truck rode and handled. Except for the improved ride, I couldn't even tell there was a camper on the truck. I was in the process of setting the truck up for remote camping along moderate trails when it was totaled.

We will mostly use the truck for surffishing and exploring unimproved roads, but also want to do some camping out west around the Four Corners, Arches and Monument Valley, among other locations.

Due to the gas 351 and 4:10 rears the fuel economy was very poor, this translated into a rather short range per fuel load, even if I had installed a larger after market fuel tank as I had planned.

I'm going to switch to a mid 90's Dodge for fuel economy among other reasons. Has anyone here mounted the FWC Grandby on a mid 90's 2500 12 valve Cummins? I've been told due to the high torque produced by the Cummins, 4:10 gears won't be needed for moderate trails.

Would the 2500 require any suspension mods if I start adding other equipment such as heavy off road bumpers, winch, rear swing away spare and fuel can carriers, bank of house batteries under truck bed, front mounted 100 quart cooler (for surffishing trips only).

Thanks
Beer Belly Boy

Jeep

Supporting Sponsor: Overland Explorer Expedition V
You couldn't pick a better truck in my opinion. The economy of a 12V along with the reliability has never been accomplished again by any of the other big 3. I have had a 1995, 1998, and now a 2004 2500 Cummins powered truck and continually work my trucks. You will most likely find 3.54 gears in the year that you are looking unless you buy a dually (4.10's) and they work excellent (the 3.54's) with a 33" tire, with minor adjustments they will also pull with a set of 35's just fine but you may notice a small drop in mileage. Suspension wise, the camper you have is just about the right amount of weight to make a 2500 ride nice. If you are always loaded you might want to add a leaf if it is a little soft, if your load varies a set of airbags is a good fix too. I have only added a leaf to my 98, it hauled my camper and pulled a 26' enclosed trailer. Happy trails.

Mark

beer belly boy

2500 v 3500 brakes and frames

Hi Mark, Thanks for the reply!
I read somewhere on the portal forums that the 2500 and 3500 are identical except for the extra springs on the 3500.
Do you know if they have the same size brakes and frame rails?
Would you be able to guide me to any websites that would specs on the 94-97 vintage trucks?
Thanks,
Beer Belly Boy (John)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger