Dodge 3rd Gen Snorkel!

angusdevil

Adventurer
Ok, there has been a lot of questions about this in other threads so I'll just start a new one for everyone to read.

Starting off, a big thanks to Kurt at Expeditioneers for hooking me up with the snork!!! Airflow did a REALLY good job with the install instructions and documentation. One thing to be aware of is that everything is in metric so be sure to double check your drill bit sizes so that you're making the appropriate sized holes. The template with it is spot on as well. The snorkel is extremely sturdy and I was actually hanging off of it and it wasn't budging! As for wind or extra noise, there isn't any! I have some before and after sound clips so that you can hear the difference.

For water testing, we ran out of daylight (we had a lot of trucks to work on that day) so I'll be doing it through the week so don't worry, it'll be coming very soon.

Now the nitty gritty…

The good:
- Well built, well designed and a pretty flawless product. All of the pieces fit together VERY well and with addition of the sealant, I have no concerns with water leaking in.
- No extra wind noise
- It looks great on the truck
- The top of the snorkel stays connected, even with a few good, hard hits, it didn't budge.
- With the right sealant, things go together very easily. We used about half a tube on the 4 connections.
- After a few days of driving, my overhead computer says I am getting better mileage.

The not so good:
- Nothing was really bad but the fitment is TIGHT!!! We had to loosen up the fender a little to get it all pieced together but it's all together correctly with nothing rubbing. There isn't a lot of room to work in the fender so things have to be exact.
- The process of hooking up the hose wasn't documented all that well so we found ways to make things work but they could have gone into a bit more detail. At the end of the day, it's 5 pieces that get put together so it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out. I would suggest start hooking things up at the airbox and work your way back. We did it the opposite way so it made maneuvering things a bit cumbersome.
- The airbox in the instructions had a slightly bigger lip on it for connecting the adapter tube. This left us without the option of putting in the two bottom screws but in the end, it wasn't needed as we sealed it up quite nicely. A quick dump of a glass of water on the seal confirmed this. THIS MAY BE DUE TO THE FACT THAT IT WAS A DIESEL. I was under the impression that all 2500/3500's had the same box so when installing this, be sure to spend some extra time on the airbox and it shouldn't be an issue. I feel 100% confident with the work we did and it should not be an issue.

Overall:
- It's well thought out and built. So far, it has no negative affects to the sound or performance of the truck. Plenty of air is getting to the motor (even for a diesel) and doesn't leave anything left to be desired. It's a tight fit but it went together very smoothly. Mileage is staying consistent or slightly better but definitely not going down. With plenty of mastic, there shouldn't be any issues with it leaking or allowing any extra water into the intake.

Here are some pics of the install. If you've looked at the instructions before, it should be pretty self explanatory as to what everything is and how it goes together.

Snorkel01.JPG

Snorkel03.JPG

1500 airbox adapter
Snorkel04.JPG

Reading the instructions is a good idea!
Snorkel05.JPG

Be sure to clean off the area for a good working/cutting surface
Snorkel06.JPG

Yes, the stock boxes do have drain holes. Obviously mine has been sitting in the mud and water a bit.
Snorkel08.JPG

Here is how the adapter fits to the airbox
Snorkel12.JPG

Not much lip to mount the bottom screws but the adapter is a really snug fit!
Snorkel16.JPG

Snorkel15.JPG

Was pretty cool to see that the inside of the tube was slicked over to cause less turbulence.
Snorkel25.JPG

Yes, the mastic dried clear. Just screwing the two pieces together before the final dose of mastic.
Snorkel28.JPG

Cutting out the template
Snorkel30.JPG

Snorkel34.JPG

Drilling pilots after we center punched the fender.
Snorkel36.JPG

The top two holes are 12mm, the bottom three are 10mm
Snorkel37.JPG

Snorkel40.JPG

FENDER EATER!!!
Snorkel41.JPG

Snorkel42.JPG

Snorkel43.JPG

Snorkel45.JPG

94e49a13-a9f1-4db0-aa25-3ad70eda2b95_568x426r0.jpg

After the holes were drilled and primered (self etching), we moved to the main tube where there were brass inserts molded into the back side. Insert the studs and BE SURE TO USE LOKTITE!
Snorkel48.JPG

Snorkel49.JPG

For the pillar brace, be sure to follow the instructions carefully. They're spot on but have a specific order to do things in. The rubber seal has 6 T20 screws in it that you have to remove after the holes are drilled into it. The plastic nutcerts that come with pretty good quality but make sure that you have a SMALL square hole file in order to make these fit well.
Snorkel55.JPG

Snorkel58.JPG

Last edited:

angusdevil

Adventurer
The next few pictures are of putting it all together. After the main portion was bolted down, we had to loosen the fender to get some of the pieces to fit into place. Once in, the fender went right back to its original position without any rubbing.
Snorkel59.JPG

Snorkel63.JPG

Snorkel64.JPG

Snorkel66.JPG

Me shaking the entire truck back and forth checking to see how sturdy it was.
Snorkel67.JPG

Snorkel68.JPG

Snorkel70.JPG

Snorkel78.JPG

Snorkel80.JPG

Interior shot
Snorkel81.JPG

Had to turn around so might as well snap a few photos
Snorkel82.JPG

Snorkel83.JPG

aba27412-9005-4305-8d8e-ac3ac9063b21_568x426r0.jpg

angusdevil

Adventurer
Thanks! I'm loving it so far. Been nothing but grins the last 2 days and I've probably had over 2 dozen people ask me about it at work and on the street.

Expeditioneers have them for sale right now for only $400!

poriggity

Explorer
I saw those.. AND I LOVE THEM!!!! Wish I had the extra $400... Although I don't know that I'd have the nuts to cut up my fender!
Scott

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
great write up!! I put mine on a few months ago, and tight may be an understatement- wow!! Loving mine as well- great product...

Doc Mayhem

Observer
So I would need to order the snorkel as a Dodge 1500 option, to get the airbox adapter? I assume the airbox adapter expeditioneers mentions on their page is the one you used? Just want to make sure before I order.

Thanks

-Doc

angusdevil

Adventurer
So I would need to order the snorkel as a Dodge 1500 option, to get the airbox adapter? I assume the airbox adapter expeditioneers mentions on their page is the one you used? Just want to make sure before I order.

Thanks

-Doc

The 2500 option has all of the pieces to install and fit to the airbox. If you have a 1500, there is an extra adapter that fits onto the piece that I installed on my airbox.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan