Doka Cab Shortening

mxpxer7

I'm in the process of building an expedition vehicle out of a Mercedes Benz 1224 AF (old fire truck). The vehicle comes with a crew cab (known as a Doka cab in Germany). The cab takes up too much space on the chassis for my build. I need to have it chopped at the rear window and resealed. Is anyone aware of any shops in the US, Canada, or Europe that do this kind of work? We found one company in The Netherlands, but they are only willing to work on brand-new trucks. Appreciate any suggestions!

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Free advice is worth what you pay for it.

That said, I have a single cab 917AF and would love the extra leg room that a DOKA would provide. Also great storage for all manner of gear that you don't really want in the camper.

YMMV.

mxpxer7

Here's the free advice I've found so far today.

So here's how they shorten the Doka cab.

Cut line 1 - Removes the crew cab and leaves an extended cab.

Cut line 2 - Creates the end cap.

The end cap is welded at cut line 1 to close off the cab.

1689736010387.png

mxpxer7

Not rocket science but it's made finding people capable of the job a lot easier when I can explain how it's typically done.

simple

Adventurer
I'm not sure what auto repair is like in Norway but in the US, any crash repair shop could probably do it. I'd look for a privately owned small shop where the owner would be the one doing the work.

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
I think you would find a much better labor rate here in the US vs. Europe. Plus if you can have the work done locally, or semi-local it would be much easier for you to follow the progress and give your input.

I agree that a DOKA or larger is a lot of cab space if you don't need it. My 1017AF a dreifachkabine (Triplecab) was over 3 meters long. My friend's single cab 1017A is always packed in the cab with stuff they want 'up front' with them, so I would agree with the suggestion above, with going with something longer than a pure singlecab. I was thinking of a cab and a half for my truck.
tri-ext.jpg

It is a fairly common conversion in Germany, and pretty straightforward with the straight/semi-straight body panels.

(some internet photos I have saved)
lkw2.jpgLKW.jpgDOKAm1.pngDOKAm2.pngDOKAm3.png

Geo.Lander

Free advice is worth what you pay for it.

That said, I have a single cab 917AF and would love the extra leg room that a DOKA would provide. Also great storage for all manner of gear that you don't really want in the camper.

YMMV.
Unless it's from @DiploStrat id say, you've helped me immensely over these years!

Geo.Lander

I'm not sure what auto repair is like in Norway but in the US, any crash repair shop could probably do it. I'd look for a privately owned small shop where the owner would be the one doing the work.
They won't take the job from private people, don't bother trying to get this done in Norway

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
I will grant you that a triple cab is a bit much! But a cab and a half is nice.

Do give a little thought to whether you will ever need seat belted space for extra passengers, for example, a guide. That might change your calculations a bit.

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
There have to be body shops in Bend. Talk to Lance Gilles at Earthcruiser. He won't do it, but he might have ideas on where to go. (They do a variation of this to their Fusos.)

Toby3

we also have a 1124AF but I wanted the Doka given 4 of us plus 3 dogs. Do you know how you're extended cab is made, ours looked solid but the 2nd row was a metal framework with fibreglass panels. As we have changed bits, we had to rebuild the rear wall because it was pretty basic so depending on how yours is done, might be an easier job than it initially looks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior